End of year post

End of year post

Now that I am done with freshman year of college I can look back and reflect of the time that went by oh so quickly.  If I could go back and tell myself something at the beginning of freshman year it would be this:  Don’t limit yourself.  The beauty of this idea is it covers so many ideas.  In terms of academics, don’t limit yourself to just the classes I need to take to get the degree I want.  Take other classes for fun.  Take hard classes to challenge yourself.  Take obscure classes to expand your thoughts.  The possibilities are endless and who knows, maybe it will pay off and you might find your calling.  In terms of social life, don’t limit yourself to the people in your hall.  Yes, make friends with those people and hang out with them but there are 50,000 other kids at Michigan: go meet them.  Go to sporting events all the time, go to shows, go to parties etc.  College lasts 4 years and some people meet their life long partners and best friends in college.  It is extremely important to meet people and make connections.  I’m reminded of a quote that I often think of in situations like this:  “Its not about the grades you make, its about the hands you shake.”  It seems funny and stupid because of course grades matter, and this is true.  But that quote is extremely true to its meaning in that when you have connections to build upon it makes it a lot easier to get internships, jobs, etc down the road.  In terms of the school itself, don’t limit yourself to just your living area.  Go out and see the campus.  Go out and see Ann Arbor.  Go to the arb, go to the stadiums when there isn’t a game going on, go to the restaurants way down in the heart of AA.  Go experience the world around you and make the most of the 4 years you have here.  Looking back at my freshman year, I can remember welcome week like it was yesterday.  That is a scary thought.  You blink a second time and sophomore year is over.  Turn your head once and you’re down with college.  These 4 years are way too short to not live them to the fullest value.  Join as many clubs as you can, most of them don’t require attendance so join them and then see if you like them or not.  Do NOT spend your free time watching movies or TV shows all day, finish your work, and go out and see what there is to see.  Of course there is going to be times where you watch tv thats fine, but do it with a friend or make sure you’re not missing something else you could be doing.  Those movies aren’t going anywhere but the time at college is.  Make sure you have your priorities straight.  Despite this letter to myself seeming regretful, it is actually mostly experience speaking.  I didn’t watch many movies, I did go to a lot of sporting events, I did go out and meet new people.  I am happy I did so too because I can look back and thank myself for the memories I made and the friends I made in that time.  I have 3 more years to expand on those and I plan to take full advantage of that time.  I am thankful for all of the support I received freshman year from hall-mates, friends, family, etc.  I look forward to next year.