End of the Year Reflection

End of the Year Reflection

This year was challenging in many ways. There were of course all the usual freshman struggles like adjusting to dorm life and dealing with the heavier course load of college, but looking back I don’t feel like those were the biggest challenges of this past year. For me, it was definitely the process of moving my career away from medicine and healthcare that I struggled with the most. I came here in September fairly certain that I would become a doctor someday. I don’t remember when that changed exactly, but it was pretty early on. After that though, I thought that I would still stay within the realm of health by pursuing public health, something I was lucky enough to get some first-hand experience in through a research position at SPH. I really enjoyed working there this year, and I thought that maybe this is what I could make my career focus. I felt really good about this for a little while, and stuck with it for a while even though I was having a hard time actually envisioning a career in this for myself. Then second semester I got a job working at a local childcare center, and that shifted my mindset even more. I remembered how much I loved working with kids – how that’s where my real passion lies. As I thought more and more about this, I realized that the best path for me would actually be teaching. This was not easy for me to accept, and even harder for me to admit to other people. I felt really conflicted about leaving the health sciences completely, especially since I really enjoyed my HSSP experience, academic and otherwise. I loved being around people passionate about careers in health. I’ve found it really inspiring, so it was hard for me to admit to myself that I didn’t have that same passion for this field. I’m so thankful for being challenged in this way though. I have since embraced my interest in education, and I haven’t felt happier about any other decision since coming to college. I think I’ve found my fit. It might have been an unexpected road to education, but I’m so excited to be here now.