School is HARD

School is HARD

So coming to college, a lot changes, more than I could have ever imagined. I faced many challenges this year, some of which I came out with the “Dub” and others where I simply took a hard “L.”  The biggest challenge I faced this year (which I am still working on overcoming) was taking exams. I have always been a less than stellar test taker; however, I was always able to make it out on top in high school. At Michigan, I’ve had a much harder time figuring out the best way for me to take exams. I’ve tried everything form wearing ear pugs, to sitting in the very first row of the lecture hall during the exams. Every time, I still did not do as well as I had hoped. I study a lot, and I am trying to find the disconnect of applying study to the material on the exam. My test taking skills have definitely gotten better from the first exam that I took here at Michigan but I still have a long way to go.

Dealing with failure, especially with exams worth so much of my grade, has taught how to be resilient. When I don’t get the score I want, it gives me a reason to try harder and harder each time I take an exam. I have definitely seen improvement and I am constantly finding different ways that are best for me to retain and apply the information needed for exams. I never really experienced failure in high school so this was a huge wake up call. Though I realize that failure is just a part of life and I must learn how to use it to encourage me. Even though I am still working on overcoming this obstacle, I feel I have grown to understand failure in a whole new way. Even though failing SUCKS, its something that I’d rather get a handle on and learn how to deal with now rather than later on in my life.

I’m sure I have a lot more failures in my future, but I just hope that I never give up and use them as fuel for dreams.