Survival Flight

Survival Flight

I started a blog thread last week even though I’m actually leader this week, so I’ll start another. I have always been interested in aerospace! In fact, my first interest was in aerospace engineering before I became committed to health! I love flying, and it still amazes me that we can get metal to fly. What nurses do in general is incredible, let alone thousands of feet in the air. I think that the importance of flight health should become a more popular specialty, as most people don’t think of it when thinking about healthcare. We often forget that these nurses and pilots work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and even though they are compensated fairly, safety never takes a vacation; they must be prepared to leave their home lives at a moment’s notice, only to travel into challenging health problems, all while in the air! I can definitely see why the training and pre-requisites for a flight nurse are so high. My question to fellow readers: would flight healthcare be for you? Why or why not?

4 thoughts on “Survival Flight

1. After hearing about flight healthcare I was actually pleasantly surprised in a way because to me that seems like such a fun job. Especially for people who truly want to help people, i.e. people going into the healthcare field, this seems like the perfect job for one of the major down sides to the healthcare industry in my opinion. That problem is being cooped up in a hospital all day for work. Personally if I had a choice, I would rather be moving around more and that is why flight healthcare seems ideal because it allows me to do thrilling things like flying in my everyday job while helping people at the same time.

2. The only time I ever saw a helicopter in terms of a health care scene was in an episode of Grey’s Anatomy, and the first thing that came to my mind was, “Ohhhh, that makes sense!” I just had realized the resources in healthcare, of course, expanded above what’s on the ground. How could they be saving lives if they didn’t?! I definitely applaud those who come out on terrible weather and get whatever is needed for a successful procedure or for saving someone’s life. People in medicine are definitely heroes. As for me, I do not think that I have the ability to fly and airplane possibly 24 hours everyday. I just do not see myself doing it, but I give courage to those who are interested in it! I hope they find happiness in that job!

3. The concept of flight healthcare fascinates me. The fact that we have the technology to fly to someone in need in a matter of minutes is a little mind blowing. That being said, I don’t think I would be cut out for a job like that. The way I see it, it’s like working in the emergency room, only thousands of feet in the air. Considering the emergency room stresses me out as it is, I can only imagine the stress one goes through living in that atmosphere in a helicopter. The best traits one can possess in that sort of situation is an ability to stay calm and an incredible amount of patience, which I’m not sure I could do. I’m not sure a lot of people would be able to do that.

4. After the presentation at the hospital the idea of being a flight nurse flew around in my head for awhile. One thing I am always worried about when considering my future career path is falling into a feeling of monotony, so when this concept of flying around day to day between hospitals and to emergency situations came around you can see why it caught my attention. Like working in the emergency room there is a wide variety of patients and medical issues, but unlike working in the ER there’s also a huge array of different settings one gets to work in. It combines high skills with high pressure and diverse situations, which is exactly what I’m most interested in right now for my future. Going forward, I will likely keep fight nurse on the table as a career option, but like she said for now it’s probably easier for me to break everything into smaller steps and focus on my undergraduate studies for now.