Global Health

Global Health

I was a big fan of Carrie’s lecture this past week. Global Health is a subject which seems it may be hard to teach without giving examples of personal experiences, so I liked that her lecture was mostly experiential. What surprised me was simply how much she had seen and how many places she had gone/people she has helped. I was really inspired by it all because I have never travelled outside of the country so to see all of her experiences just induced such an interest in traveling in me. I think in order for my future colleagues and I to remain culturally sensitive in an ethical manner on hypothetical trips to places other than our own country, we must conduct a lot of research on the place we are going before we leave. We should try and get in touch with inhabitants of the place we are going who would be willing to talk to us about customs and traditions they have, and we should ask specifically what things we should not do to avoid offending anyone. We should also learn the language of the country in order to break language barriers. We should also just simply be respectful in situations where tension occurs because we can’t entirely be sure we will avoid it completely.

11 thoughts on “Global Health

1. I also think it was helpful to hear about Carrie’s own personal experience with global health. Global health is such a broad topic that it can be extremely difficult to truly understand what it encompasses, but I completely agree with your statement that researching the culture of countries beforehand is vital to ensuring that health care providers do more good instead of harm. In nursing, we are constantly being reminded about being aware of different aspects of various cultures that could impact healthcare, whether it be certain dietary restrictions or willingness to seek treatment or use medications. Being aware of cultural variations and norms helps everyone receive the proper care, and being respectful is of the utmost importance.

2. I agree with the preparations that you have stated we should make before traveling to another country, and Carrie provided a great presentation about how we should establish cultural awareness by sharing her experiences abroad. An interesting point that she brought up when she discussed her experience with a school in Durban, South Africa. She explains that often people are so optimistic and urgent about change that they forget its possible implications. I completely agree with her perspective, and have learned this lesson vicariously.

3. Becoming culturally diverse is a very lengthy and often hard path, in the sense that being fluent in another culture simply takes time. I agree that hearing the speakers personal narratives gave really great insight into how to be sensitive when dealing with cultural situations, however I think the best way to immerse oneself in a new place is by spending time there. Before one decides to insert themselves into a situation they think will be “beneficial” to the natives, one must understand the cultural do’s and don’ts in order to make a meaningful and helpful impact.

4. It is interesting how hearing a lecture like Carrie’s is more effective in teaching a point when she has personal examples to use. They allow us (the consumer) of her lecture to feel what she was going through during her times as she traveled helping people and learning new ideas. However, it would help us even more if we first hand experienced this which relates to Carrie’s lecture also because she talked about how important it was to do things first hand and learn in that way. Global research is the perfect way to do this because you get a glimpse of everything that is happening around the world that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to see.

5. Differences between cultures were definitely not been something that I though of everyday. I went to a high school with very little diversity and almost everyone was very similar. I learned more culturally during my first month at Michigan than I learned in all of high school. From my personal experiences, the most important thing when engaging with people of different cultures is to know what you don’t know and are open to having your paradigm shifted.

6. I agree with what you’re saying about remaining culturally sensitive when traveling to other countries. I have been fortunate enough to travel outside the country and I can say that staying culturally sensitive is quite important. Respecting what people have grown accustomed to is huge and will decreases the chances of occurring overseas. It is often very difficult however to adapt and blend into the culture. When I traveled to Vietnam, I was still noticeably American even when I dressed and spoke as any other Vietnamese citizen would have. All in all, I think that your idea of trying to not offend the citizens is the best approach when traveling overseas.

7. I agree with what you said. I think a lot of times global health is assumed to be something that can be done from one point without experiencing the world. It is done as if one already knows the world and the problems that face it, but Carrie’s talk reminded me to go out and experience the world and gain knowledge and insight from that. I also think that cultural sensitivity is a really crucial trait to have when pursuing an international career, like President of the United States (shade). I think that acknowledging your lack of knowledge about culture in a way that is not portraying ignorance is very important as well.

8. I agree with your statement that we should learn a language of the place we are going to visit . I also believe it is important to learn about the cultural mannerisms before visiting a place because non-verbal communication is just as important as verbal communication. It also benefits you because learning new languages and cultural customs can improve your creativity, neuroplasticity and writing skills. Being mindful of globalization and its impact on different cultures is something that Carrie’s talk reminded me. I hope I can continue to be mindful of languages and cultures just as she learned to.

9. I also found it impactful that Carrie shared her own personal experiences with her presentation. It made her presentation relatable and I was able to put myself in her shoes and think about how I would act if I was in her position. I think it is extremely important to recognize that when we’re working globally, we are going into, usually, a different environment than we are used to. It is important to humble ourselves before working globally and understand that cultures are different in many different aspects and we must respect that.

10. I also agree it was very helpful Carrie shared her experiences with us rather than simply lecturing about the different aspects of Global Health. I’ve never really thought about the vastness and complexity of Global health; this lecture really helped me understand what it means to truly help people. It is oftentimes difficult to put yourself in other people’s shoes and think about their home in their eyes. But, I understand it is very important to learn about your patient’s culture and traditions before actually helping them, so we can tailor our treatments to align with their core values. However, sometimes people’s cultures are also their downfalls. In these cases, it is always difficult to discern between wrong and right ways in treating people.

11. I was also very surprised and impressed by the amount of places that Carrie had conducted research in. I am an International Studies: Global Environment and Health major, so it really gave me some ideas as to what kind of research I might want to do, and how I should prepare if I were to do research abroad. I agree with you that to remain culturally sensitive in the region of our research abroad we must do a lot of research on the area before we go there, and learn as much about it as possible. I also agree that the most important thing is to always remain respectful. No matter how much research we do on the area, there is still a possibility that we will be put into a situation where we are not exactly sure is the right or wrong thing to do. I will definitely keep Carrie’s lecture in mind whenever I end up conducting research abroad.