Sexual Health

Sexual Health

This week’s class topic is very eye opening to me. For 19 years of my life, I was not aware that students were being taught about sexual health. I’m from Memphis, Tn and we were shown a youtube video that was about 10-15 minutes long when we were in the 7th grade. The girls were separated from the boys and the topic of our video was how penis erections worked. This is tragic and almost unethical in terms of the grand scheme of things. Predominately in the south sexual intercourse is viewed as an act of fun or a regular activity as if you were going to workout at the gym with a friend of the opposite sex. The majority of my friends and I became sexually active before or soon after we were shown the “educational video”.  Together we can construct and implement a strategy to get our nation more educated as one unit.

Being a U.S citizen you withhold the obligation to attend school until you are a legal age by the government’s standards. My entire academic career I have been taking classes because it was required in order for me to graduate. As a number of years I spend in school gets greater and greater the freedom of my class choice grows as well. In my opinion there should be a nationwide class that is required to take in high school while everyone’s body is getting more mature and the peak of sexual hormones are being released, I would suggest freshman year. What are some ways to eliminate the gap in education that we have nationwide on a local, state, and national level? How important is sexual education, and can it lead to a decrease in sexual assault?

10 thoughts on “Sexual Health

1. I am unsure of how sexual education would affect the prevalence of sexual assault. Since some courses teach what consent is this may help, but overall I think sexual education is most beneficial in reducing the prevalence of STDs and unplanned pregnancies. Teaching people to lower the risks of such a (potentially) risky and dangerous activity allows them to make their value judgment have less unintended consequences.

2. Bryson, I never realized how differently sex could be viewed based on location. I guess it does make sense because people get completely different sexual education based on their location. If I remember my sexual education courses, I believe I had a very similar educational video but I had it in 5th grade. Then in middle school I had a sex ed class that was more focused on STI’s. After that I didn’t have a lot. Maybe a day or two in high school but nothing memorable. But I never saw sex like you described. I think to break this gap we have to set more guidelines to sexual education. Guidelines that take success rate into account. I believe if we incorporate a sex ed course that has been proven to be successful we could lower STI rates and possibly help prevent sexual assault. I know I never learned anything about consent until I got into college. This needs to be incorporated much earlier into sexual education.

3. Sexual health education needs a dramatic change. I believe that an important change is to start talking about this topic earlier and make parents feel more comfortable about this topic. Though it will be difficult to incorporate, I also believe that there should be a standard baseline to what needs to be introduced in school. The way the information should be presented should be unbiased as possible and comprehensive, respectful to all personal views and preferences. Different topics of sexual education should be emphasized at appropriate ages both at home and school. Students should learn about healthy relationships then I believe that sex will be a natural progression in the conversation.

4. I thought it was very interesting that you were unaware that people were being taught about sex education. I started learning about puberty and sex in fourth grade and then later in fifth, seventh, and tenth grade. Tenth grade was by far the most helpful because we learned about almost every contraceptive and STI. Planned Parenthood even came in and talked to my class.
    I always knew that I was fortunate of my sex education but after lecture, I realized just how fortunate I was. There is a gap in sex education and I think it will be important to, like you said, provide a nationwide class that ensure that every American student has a well-developed sexual education that will prepare them, not scare them, for the possible risks ahead.

5. The sexual education disparity across the nation is definitely a big problem. Although I knew that there wasn’t one national curriculum used for sexual education, I didn’t realize that some schools’ versions of “sexual education” were in fact not educational at all (ie. pouring dyed liquid into each other’s cup to stimulate fear). In my opinion, this is the same thing as depriving certain students from having access to proper sexual education. I can understand how certain religious beliefs lead to abstinence-only sexual education; however, ultimately, sexual education is not a matter of whether you are encouraging students to have sex, but rather, whether you are giving them the proper resources to allow them to take care of their own health.
    I agree that there needs to be major modification in the nation’s sexual education curriculum and system. Programs like Change It Up! and Relationship Remix should be implemented in all high schools. The only way that I can imagine proper sexual education reducing sexual harassment is that there might be a slight decrease in non-consensual sex. Students would have a better understanding of the importance of asking for and giving consent, therefore miscommunication amongst parties would decrease.

6. I agree with what you are saying. Education is a way to instill a better sense of how to conduct oneself in this situation but these things need to be practiced outside of school too. If there is to be actual change then this education should be mandated in school and be stressed at home.

7. Looking at your story, I find it interesting just how different the quality of education is for people coming from different states. Despite the fact that America is supposed to be a single nation, there’s a gross disparity in the level of education people receive based on the regions they live. To that end, I agree that there should be a greater standardization in the sexual education students receive in high school.
    It’s evident that based off the responses in class, the majority of our students received inept, perfunctory sexual health education, so introducing required material that high schools are obligated to teach would definitely help lower that disparity.

8. In my opinion sexual health is very important. Several schools don’t provide their students with sex education and that is not exceptable. Having the knowledge of different diseases are vital. In my middle school I was privileged to have sex ed and I believe the education that I received was pretty good for the grade level I was in. In high school I didn’t receive any sex ed and that’s the time I think we should have. It should have been a continuation of what we learned in middle school. The class should be more in depth and informational, talking more about diseases. Everyone should have the same amount of sex education in their schools, preferably almost the same way if possible. Knowing this information in high school could prevent several diseases and other things that happen because of the lack of knowledge.

9. It surprises me and stuns me how many places and schools have a poor quality of sexual health education. In today’s society I deem it to be extremely important to have a good education on sexual health. There are number of negative situations that could ultimately be prevented with a higher quality of education. An easy way to implement this at an early age for people is by considering the fact that every student must take a physical education, or gym class, to graduate high school, there should be a decent amount of time during the year where these topics are actually brought up and discussed.

10. I also think it is a tragedy that young people in America don’t have the same education when it comes to sexual health. It is surprising to me that there are people who didn’t get the same information as I did in high school. I agree in that there should be a nationally mandated system for sexual education. This would have to be created through conflicting ideas of conservative and progressive thinkers but it would be the best if one idea was agreed upon.