Who Makes The Choices?

Who Makes The Choices?

A lot of people pose the fact that health care professionals should follow the needs of their patients and their patients family and I agree with to an extent. In my opinion, I think health care professional should be able to refuse to give medical treatment to their patients when the outcome is not beneficial.  I believe this because all health professionals have been trained to know the extent to which their procedure can help or kill their patients; therefore, they know if the work the family wants done is worth it. On many occasions, I believe that many health care professionals will do whatever needs to be done to save their patients, but they also know when enough is enough. Although I feel like I would want everything possible to be done for the one I love, I would have to take into consideration that the procedure may not change the overall outcome and the doctors time could be used more efficiently on another patient. In certain situations, I think the family should be able to chose; however, the health care professional has to believe the outcome will result positively.

10 thoughts on “Who Makes The Choices?

1. Last week’s lecture provided great insight into the ethical considerations that medical professionals must go through to provide the correct care to the patients. However, the point made above is very true as there should be limitations to the extent that healthcare providers can deny healthcare to their patients. Often, as potential healthcare providers, our patients are the first and only priority. However, since surgery requires surgical epistemology, it must necessitate that we consider whether the treatment we are proposing will make an efficient difference. No matter if you follow an areological viewpoint, an act based viewpoint, ire an outcome based viewpoint, we must have both proper intent and informed consent. Once this is done, only then ca we recommend the best possible treatment and provide options to the patients. Nevertheless, it will be imperative that healthcare professionals say no at some point to give perspective to the patients about their decision and its potential consequences.

2. I agree that the physician should have a little bit of a say in whether or not a procedure gets done on a patient or not. I think that for the most part the physician should respect the patient’s wishes, however if the patient is ill informed or the procedure is too risky I think that the physician has a right to step in. Physicians have been trained their whole lives to make these decisions and know the ins and outs of most procedures, a patient does not have this experience and knowledge. The patient does have to live with their decision for the rest of their life so they should have a say in decisions that are made, just not when they may be harmful to their health.

3. I think it’s a good point that it’s often hard to make medical decisions surrounding our own health or health of a loved one because there are so many emotions involved. As patients, I don’t believe that we have all the information or are usually in the healthiest mind set to make big medical decisions. However, I don’t believe that physicians have all the answers either. As Dr. Vercler mentioned, the surgery that he does is not scripted and is very innovative every time he is in the operating room. I’m not sure it is right for a physician to refuse treatment when they assume or believe treatment to be “too risky” when they frequently take that risk with out patient consent.

4. A surgeon should use their professional discretion when they choose to refuse a patient’s wish or the family’s wish. Often times what goes on in the heads of the patients or his or her family is more emotional than it is rational. Of course the patient and family would desperately ask the health care provider to do everything they can even though the outcome is disappointing. The health care provider knows this too; no one wants to give up on a life if there is a tiny chance that of survival and rehabilitation. But it comes down to the health care provider to stand in a professional viewpoint, to not have their judgment clouded by so many voices, and really weigh the risks and benefits. Sometimes, further intervention comes down to not only wasted resource, but also lifted then shattered hopes. The health care professional should be cognizant of their own limits and the limits of medicine. It is harsh but when there really is nothing else that can be done, it is the responsibility of the health care processional to call the stop. But even with all this said, the health care provider should at all times hear and respect the voice of the patient and the family.

5. I agree that medical professionals should have the right to say refuse treatment for their patients since they are experts in their fields. Emotions will always influence individual and family choices, so an important decision could be made in seconds without any thought beforehand. Even with suggestions from a medical professional, families may still prioritize life despite the consequences that may come with it. As a result, the patient’s autonomy should always be considered when making the decision of whether or not to administer medical care if given the “right” situation.

6. I agree with your statement 100% Chyanne. When patients are not strong enough to receive a certain surgery or treatment, I feel that physicians have the right to step in. Physicians know what is best for the patient and most times will do everything that is best for the patient. It may be hard in certain situations if family gets involved because when their family member is dying , all they want to see is them alive and well again. I know that if I were in this situation, I would do what is best for my family member and I would want them to be in the most comfortable state. No one ever wants to see someone pass away but if they are in pain and keeping them alive is only hurting them more, then physicians should make their best decision in not treating them anymore. As a patent, I would rather be at peace than in pain.

7. I also agree, hope is a strong thing but sometimes life just doesn’t work that way. So if continued operation will only make it worse then the physician should have the right to tell the patient or their family “no”. People don’t have the knowledge and experience as a physician so they are more likely to think that there is a chance to make things better if he/she would keep trying. You can’t really blame them though, because hope for everything being alright is in my opinion one of the things that makes us human. If a physician is going to refuse then should inform the patient on their though process, the odds of survival, and the bigger burden it will be to continue. That way people will understand easier.

8. I agree with you for the most part. If a patient is requesting a procedure that carries risks with it, it is the surgeon’s job to make the patient aware of these risks. He should do his best to convince them of the pros and cons of all possibilities before any action is taken.

At the end of the day, however, humans make emotional and illogical decisions. Even when the patient/family has the most information they could possibly comprehend about a situation, it is completely possible that they could make a judgment that prolongs pain and suffering or ends life earlier than would be possible if further measures were taken.

When it comes to these situations, it is important to remember that the desire to live in a terminal condition is a value based judgment that we cannot impose on someone else. If they do not want to live in such a state, and a procedure would result in such a state, it is unnecessary to use resources to prolong pain and suffering. On the other hand, if a patient expresses a desire to continue on, it is a medical obligation to attempt to prolong their life.

9. Your touching on a broad concept that I think causes a lot of controversy in the field of medicine. In my opinion i think there is not any instance that makes it okay to give your patient certain doses of medication will be to strong or harmful to there well being. In the grand scheme of things the point of providing medicine to your patient is to make them feel better and help the process of healing there pain. There may be some instances where the patient my have an alternative motive behind the prescription you give. But again, this is awareness of your location and getting to know your patients situation on a person to person basis. It is a medical goal to extend the expectancy of your patients life so giving them medicine that could harm them would be unethical in terms of the health care field.

10. This topic has had me thinking a lot lately. I think at this point in time it is easy for me to say that the surgery or procedure should be done if it is what the patient and family want. However, in the future if I were to provide health care it would be a different story. I do think that a lot of these are case by case issues and doctors want to be doing more harm than good. It would hurt to see my patient not make it or survive and be in a poor state of living.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say on this topic. I think that some physicians only see health care in black and white. I think if a procedure is harmful in some cases that it should not be done if the time left will be shortened drastically. However, I am still not 100% on this whole topic and my opinion.