Do NO Harm.

Do NO Harm.

The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding. – Albert Camus

I believe that nothing is perfect. There will be people who have the purest intentions but will end up causing harm. Everyday, we are put through different kinds of challenges, ones that we’ve experienced before and ones we have never seen coming. Each of those challenges causes us to act different ways, and each time we act, we do not always know what the outcome will be.

Sometimes, people can be selfish and think whatever they are doing is good but only good for them and not everyone else. It is all in the matter of perspectives. Sometimes, it can all just be a matter of coincidence. Something happened that made your action backfire, and it wasn’t your fault. There are also many ways to prevent these from happening, and ways to do no harm are to check everything before finalizing, listen to yourself before saying, and re-evaluate what’s good for the people not just yourself.
For me, as I will tackle this myself while working with others, I will make sure that I put my patients first before my own. I will make sure that they feel satisfied with my care, and that they will know everything that goes on in their body, for they have the full rights to know. I will make sure that I will not sign any papers of study that involves me or others to be put at risk. I will make sure to follow the “Modern” Hippocratic Oath and the ethics of medicine. I have an understanding that if I wouldn’t wanna see me or the people I love be put through so much pain without their say that I wouldn’t want anybody else to be put in that position neither. It’s absolutely disgusting that people let that happen without consent. That’s why it’s very important to educate everybody at such an early age about what occurred in the past that we have to avoid making because again, humans make mistakes, but we have to learn from them because if we do not, we won’t be progressing individually nor as a society, and it is vital that we do to make our world a better place. So, be careful with what you do out there. Do no harm.

15 thoughts on “Do NO Harm.

1. Great post! I totally agree that it is important for us to truly consider the consequences of our actions and words. While some people do bad things for selfish reasons, you make a great point that many terrible thinks are done out of ignorance. Therefore, we should educate ourselves to the best of our ability and learn about the past so that we do not repeat the mistakes of others. In the future, I also will make sure that my patients are fully informed at all times and that they are receiving the quality of care that I would want myself or my loved ones to receive, and nothing less.

2. Great post! I totally agree that it is important for us to truly consider the consequences of our actions and words. While some people do bad things for selfish reasons, you make a great point that many terrible thinks are done out of ignorance. Therefore, we should educate ourselves to the best of our ability and learn about the past so that we do not repeat the mistakes of others. It is equally important to share what we know with our patients. For example, in the Tuskegee study, the patients were able to be exploited because information about their health was held from them. The researchers clearly did not consider or did not care that the subjects were people just like them. In the future, I will make sure that my patients are fully informed at all times and that they are receiving the quality of care that I would want myself or my loved ones to receive, and nothing less.

3. I really enjoyed the quote you added at the beginning because I feel that it does a great job at describing the issues and destruction that can occur from ignorance. I, myself, want to believe the best in people. So, I would want to expect that most people do not want to inflict harm on others. However, in some cases, like we mentioned with the Tuskegee and the Nazi studies, people can use the pain of others for the “greater good.” Whether or not these studies actually took place out of ignorance for research ethics, we can learn from them and apply our value for human beings to the work we do in our everyday lives. We must always think of the idea of doing no harm, and reflect on the mistakes we make.

4. I agree with your statement that we must educate people at an early age about past to avoid making these mistakes again in the future. I feel that a lot of what we learned in class was really important and it seemed that much of the class didn’t know about a lot of these things until now. Being future health care providers,we should know what has been done and what to avoid on the road ahead. We should all know to be honest and diligent in our work now and in the future. Learning about the things that we did, now we know that we need to be explicit in what we tell our patients about experiments they will be apart of and what we will do to them.

5. That was a very insightful post! I completely agree with you about the fact that even the best of intentions can have negative repercussions! I think it’s very important that we all remember the fact that that every patient is autonomic, meaning they have the power over their own body. I think that this will keep us, as health care professionals, in check actually. We have to be aware that what we recommend and personally think is not the end all be all. The patient will always have the last say and I think its amazing that we live in this time where people have control over their own bodies.
    With that being said, we must still take into account the past and not let bad events from history repeat themselves. That’s why we need to present all the facts to our patients so they can make the most informed decision for themselves.

6. I agree that it is important to educate our youth on what happened in the past. It is easy to look at the atrocities that happened and blame them on people with evil intentions. It is likely, however, that those people thought that they were doing something truly good for the world. It is for this reason that we must have a system that requires all researchers to check themselves and not do anything that results in harm done to other people. I think the Nuremberg Codes were an integral starting point to ensure that the past never repeats itself. The patients involved in the studies also need to be fully informed and okay with participating. In the end, no scientific achievement is worth doing harm to innocent people.

7. I really like the quote that you included in the beginning of your post because it highlights how even if someone’s intentions are good, ignorance can do as much harm as someone who actually intends to do evil and harm. I think that is such an important point in trying to avoid as much negative consequences as possible and eventually “do no harm.” If we educate ourselves and learn from history and mistakes that have been done in the past, we can minimize harm and maximize learning and positive outcomes.
    I also agree with you on putting my patients first and making sure that they know everything that I do and making sure that no harm is being done to anyone.

8. I love your quote at the beginning. Nothing is perfect and this is so true, especially when we are talking about the health care field. There are so many factors that can go wrong. No one in my opinion can do no harm. Since harm is up for interpretation. Someone mentioned that you can continue to think that you are doing no harm. Yet, I feel that when you overthink you are more prone to make mistakes.

9. I really agree with you on the point you made about perspective. I think this can also be examined in our every day lives. You and I can both perceive the actions of somebody in completely different manners and this happens quite often.
    I also agree with your statement regarding informing patients what is happening to them and the treatment they receive. I want to practice as an OB/GYN one day and I think that field especially requires trust and compatibility with a patient.

10. I agree with your statements about perspective, that is completely true. People have a tendency of doing selfish things without realizing that they are being selfish and end up causing harm to others. This happens because they’re only thinking about what it will do for them and the general population without having the “participants” feelings in mind. what they’re doing is wrong. I feel as if initially they did not believe that they were doing any harm because they were thinking about the bigger picture instead of the specifics and this can blind people.

11. I really like what you have said here because I believe that it is good to stop and reflect on what you may think the future may be. It’s also important to recognize that what goes on is valid and that it cannot be ignored. With that being said, I do really agree with you reversing rolls. I think many people can alter what they believe for the good if they see the situation with them in the same position. It makes me sad because I see that a lot of people’s decisions are driven by money. I can see how it’s hard to defy those above you when you can be pushed down so easily, but with that being said I think people need to make the right decision. I know that I will.

12. I agree with everything that you said in this post. As healthcare providers, it is of utmost importance that we do everything in our ability to put the patient first.This would ensure that the patient is getting satisfactory healthcare, and that the provider is doing their job. I also agree with what you said about learning from our past. I do think it’s important that we learn from the mistakes of our ancestors so we can avoid doing them in the future. When recruiting people into studies, it’s important that the “patient” has full knowledge of what they’re getting themselves into. It’s also important that they realize that they have autonomy over themselves and can withdraw at any point. These revelations were made to be prominent after the heinous experiments of the Nazi’s (among others) were exposed.

13. I definitely agree with the points you made Thea. Most of the time, especially in health care, people have the best intentions for others. But while medical professionals (usually) mean the best and try to do well, they can still do harm to their patients. Although what one thinks something may be beneficial for a patient, it may not actually be the best option in the eyes of the patient or family. This is evident in cases of cancer patients, patients with mental health problems, end-of-life care patients, parents looking for birth control methods, and many more. Like you said, checking everything before finalizing is a good way to help prevent harm from good intent from happening. Another way to lessen this type of harm, is by to avoid coercing patients to go through procedures or making life changes. I think it’s in the patients’ best interest to be fully informed instead of the different possible routes of action and possibly suggest the best method but never impose on them. In my career, I want to keep this mind, and remember to remind myself that I am not always right, and that I won’t always know what is best for others. It’s so important to discuss these topics because although we mean best, it’s still possible to harm others. By discussing this topic, we can further prevent harm to the patients we seek to care.

14. Wow what a thoughtful post. Obviously everyone wants to “put their patients before them”. That’s not a hard concept to want to follow. It is the acting it out that could be difficult for many people. Often times everyone does not think twice about what they say or how they say it. People aren’t editing machines so things might come across as this is the end all be all, you have to do this. Things are judged a little differently due to the persons bring up as well. You can’t be too careful because things always come off the wrong way. Communication is just a difficult thing in general.

15. I totally agree with everything you have to say. With all the people that believe that there is nothing to gain from the past they are completely wrong. We are humans and we make mistakes. It is what we do with those mistakes that allow us to grow. As for the people that have made those mistakes they weren’t all intentional, or at least I hope not. There end goal mostly likely blurred everything else including the well being of others. With those mistakes that they made we must embrace them as a whole and take them as an opportunity to learn. As a practitioner I completely agree that every individual has a right to know exactly what’s being done to them. When going about this we should think about how we would want to be treated as a patient and realize that we would want to know everything about ourselves.