Research

Research

What surprised me the most about this lecture was the different types of study designs used in research. In my science classes, I have only been taught the difference between observational or experimental studies. Before this lecture, I did not have any huge misconceptions about research because I have never spent a ton of time thinking about it. However, I was surprised to hear the different examples of studies with ethical problems. It is amazing to think that at any point in time someone thought it was okay to run a study that infected healthy men with syphilis and lied to them about it.

I think that research will definitely play a role in my career. I am currently working in a research lab focused on the treatment of Ewing sarcoma, which is a type of cancer often found in children and teenagers and develops in their bone or soft tissue as a tumor. I hope to continue this research throughout undergrad and possibly into grad school. Even if I do not have my own research project, research will stay play a vital role in my career. Health care professionals are constantly using new treatments discovered through research to more effectively treat their patients.

9 thoughts on “Research

1. Andrew, I agree with you that I did not realize there were a lot of ethical concerns that we as researchers have to consider when conducting an experiment. Through the experiments that violated this, we as researchers did learn a lot about what not to do. In the Stanford Prison experiment, we have learned that there was something definitely wrong with the infrastructure of the prison system. The unethical experiments performed has allowed us to learn and shape the imminent problems within our society. As we continue to research to broaden and deepen our understanding of the world and how it functions, what would be considered too far in terms of ethics in an experiment today?

2. It is astonishing the degree if importance that research seems to play in health care development and enhancement. While in hindsight it makes perfect sense, research is not the first idea that forms in one’s mind when thinking about healthcare. Thus, I agree with you Andrew when you mention the ethical problems that can arise on all forms of examples and experiments. It is truly fascinating to think that research has led to so many new development and ideas for the treatment and care of society. I did not know that healthcare research can take so many forms in so many variations, something that can provide great information and conclusions. As a part of UROP, I can understand the patience that is required to derive results and to provide conclusions. In my lab, the Radiological Health Engineering lab, I am currently working on analyzing data for a possible radiation detector that can be used for patient safety. As such, thus far, research seems to be a good part of my life, something I would be happy to continue to do for the rest of my life.

3. It seems funny to me that although we go to school at one of the largest research universities where research opportunities are so widely sought after, so many of us (including me) weren’t aware of everything that the world of research encompasses before this lecture. I still can’t say that I’m any expert on the different research designs now, but is anyone? Unfortunately, history has shown that the ethical board definitely needs to exist to keep researchers honest and humane, but it seems like the more complicated the research is, the more paperwork there is and hoops to jump through there are before the research can even begin. Is this delaying the existence of new knowledge? Is there a way to measure how far is “too far”? Could there be a better way to ensure researchers’ compliance with ethical standards? I’m excited to see how these questions will be answered in the future.

4. I also did not realize the complexity of the field of research and how. I didn’t think that there were so many types of research. I was also surprised at how we go to one of the largest research universities and how I knew very little about research. I’ve previously heard about the Tuskegee syphilis experiment and the Nazi experiments, but I did not really think about the ethical problems with normal experiments. When you’re an observer of research, there is no name and face attached, so it is easy to sometimes forget that these are actual people that you are experimenting with. I think that you are very fortunate that you enjoy your research lab. Having that experience will help you with your career.

5. The wide variety of research methods surprised me as well. In my psychology class last semester, we learned a lot of research techniques and different studies. However, I still had never heard of at least three of the methods that Adam talked about. I also didn’t realize how much of a role money and ethics played in determining which method should be used or which methods are the most effective. Sometimes, with the barriers of money and ethics, I wonder how so much research gets done. Still, I wonder how much more we would know about the world if money was not a barrier?

6. It is startling and horrifying at what some research consisted of and like you I am surprised that people actually studied and did the things that they did. I just don’t understand how one could inject other humans with toxic chemicals or torture others just to see what would happen. I am glad to know that research experiments are now much more regulated and consider the health and well-being of others.
    Research has allowed a wealth of knowledge into the health field and it will continue to grow. The discoveries being made are only answering more questions ultimately leading to an answer that could change the world or just lead to more unanswered questions. I also see myself doing research in the future in one way or another whether it be through my UROP project or in the health field trying to discover new and more efficient ways of saving peoples lives.

7. Along with Andrew, I did not know there were so many research methods. I think the only reason we are only taught the traditional experiment method is because it is the easiest to interpret the data. With the other ways of research like a case study for example, just because you notice certain effects or a correlation does not mean that the two are related. It is easier to just observe the cause and effects of the experimental method than any of the other methods.

8. Andrew, I share your preconceived notion of research in that I had no idea there were so many different and specialized way to research many issues, although it makes sense that there need to be different types of studies for different types of findings. I also agree that it is astounding that there were trials with such little ethical consideration. Your research is very fascinating and I hope to get into research like that in the near future. Thinking that your work could impact peoples’ lives in a very real way is awesome, and knowing that research will never stop gives me hope for the future of medicine.

9. I was also surprised by the many different types of research methods. I had only ever been taught experimental and observational. I always considered research to be a fairy simple (and boring) thing, but lecture really showed how rigorous and extensive research can be. I have a family friend who is currently writing up her research and she said that she had been working on it for the past 8 years. While it is not something I really want to produce, I know research will be very important to my future profession. I hope to be an OB/GYN and there are many new developments on the best and safest methods to deliver a child as well as promote fertility. There is currently research going on about artificial wombs that sounds creepy and cool at the same time. I think that is research that I would be interested being involved in.