My only friend, the end

My only friend, the end

This is the end. Of the semester at least. Just three and a half months ago, I honestly had no idea what to expect of my time here in Ann Arbor. As I put it, “As I sit in this room, having just finished an orange and Nutri-Grain bar, I cannot help but feel anxious about the future.” Now, at the end of the semester, I’m not as anxious, having experienced Michigan, but I’ve changed a lot. I’m a lot more open-minded and knowledgeable about health careers after getting so much exposure. I now know that there isn’t a straight path to medicine, and that it can be quite serpentine, but as long as I use failure as a learning opportunity, I’ll be fine. I’m most proud of my development of study skills and time management. All throughout high school, I rarely had to study outside of class, but college has really forced me into learning how to study, and thus far I’ve lived up to the challenge. Because I have a solid way of preparing for exams, I’ve done very well in organic chemistry, a very rigorous class which I had heard awful accounts of, but now one I thoroughly enjoy.

I still have a long way to go in balancing academics, social life, and sleep. There have been a lot of nights where I’ve stayed up too late finishing a paper because I’ve been playing too much ping pong or socializing too much. There’s a time and place for everything, and I just have to find that sweet spot where I can get everything done I need to, while still maintaining my health. When I began the semester, I had a lot of questions. Among the questions in the letter to myself were, “What will my major be?”, “What career will I decide on?”, and “Have I shaved yet?” Only time will tell. In the mean time, I’m going to stay open-minded and enjoy life.