Week 12 – Change and Myths

Week 12 – Change and Myths

One idea that surprised me during Joyce’s presentation/the panel was how you don’t need to be perfect. Obviously, you want to do well but it was comforting to know that a couple mistakes along the way won’t be the end of your pursuit to whatever you want to do. Your grades and GPA are just numbers.

For me personally, I think it will be hard to fully realize this. To me, grades and GPA were incredibly important throughout high school and the idea that “you need good grades and a good GPA to be admitted into the school you want to go to” was drilled into my head. I felt that good grades and GPA were the first “checkpoint” admission offices look at before they decide if they should look further at your profile and look at your extracurricular activities or essays. It was so eye-opening to hear the panel of the graduates tell us that they have failed and retaken classes but were still able to go on and be successful in graduate school, regardless of what they went to graduate school for. This was so comforting to hear especially with final exams coming up in the next couple of weeks.

My questions to you: What would be the outcome IF grades and GPA were all schools (undergraduate and graduate) looked at? How has holistic review changed the admissions process for the better?

6 thoughts on “Week 12 – Change and Myths

1. If all that schools looked at were GPA and test scores, the schools would be comprised of boring people. The people who spend all day doing homework and don’t leave time for socializing or pursuing any of their passions. Not to say grades aren’t important, but they don’t mean everything in life. Sometimes you need to relax and hang out with friends or just spend the day in bed watching movies. A lot of people get caught up with grades and over work themselves, which can be just as harmful as not spending enough time on classwork and studying.

With the more holistic approach, college is a more diverse place. More people come with different passions that they can share with new people. U of M for example has over 1,000 clubs because Michigan brings in people who love different things besides school. Whether your passion is volunteering or dancing, Michigan incorporates all these different people into one place and gives everyone a more unique school where they can find what they love.

2. I am frightened to think what would happen if medical schools took only those whose grades and GPA were excellent. Primarily, a personality is what makes a human. For someone to become a part of the medical work force, they must be able to relate to the patients and communicate with them. IF those who have perfect scores and grades went to medical school, the probability is that they would spend most of the day focusing on school work and the paper test. However, to become a part of the medical workforce, they should ideally be well-rounded with multiple characteristics.
    A comprehensive approach causes a greater diverse community at these schools. With the comprehensive approach, you would have people with multiple interests, personalities, and perspectives. As well, with a comprehensive approach, these colleges and universities may admit people who have the proper personality, charisma, and attitude for medical profession. Medical schools should include a comprehensive approach where they have people of multiple backgrounds and personalizes to provide the most universal health care possible.
    What do you live is the most beneficial part of the holistic review system? The most detrimental?

3. I really liked considering your question because I think it ties in a lot with what we’ve been learning about in UC105. There are so many aspects that go into being in the health field, and I think that we tend to obsess over knowledge. I think that it is silly to break down a human being into such a small factor of achievement. If they only considered grades, Grad Schools would miss out on so many passionate, caring, motivated people who strive to change the world. After attending the panel, I feel better about struggling. It’s easy to feel like everyone around you has it figured out, so I enjoyed getting the affirmation that I wasn’t alone. Communication and empathy are two characteristics that are pivotal in the personality of a doctor, yet are learned through life experience. I believe that the holistic approach is the only way to find candidates who will succeed at more than just the logistical processes of the health world. After the panel, I was motivated to start doing volunteering based on things that I actually care about, and I am excited to see what kind of things I will achieve with my passions in mind.

4. The stereotype that GPA is the most important attribute to getting into the school you want or being successful has created limitations in a number of ways. If grades were actually all schools looked at people wouldn’t venture out and take advantage of opportunities out of education. People would lock themselves up and only focus on getting an A on a test because thats what will give them a future, not standing out and making a difference by tutoring young children, packaging food for the homeless, or doing research for experience. I have to say that I am right with you when you say that it’s going to be hard to get rid of this mentality that grades is all that matters. That’s all anyone usually asks about and what we ultimately measure ourselves by. However, after hearing from the panel I am relieved that this isn’t really true.

5. If only grade and GPA came into play when looking at college and graduate/professional school applications, you would see a decline in acceptances and loss of students engaging in other activities. If you only look at grades and GPA, you essentially leave out looking at the person as a human being. A holistic review allows schools to see somebody for who they are; a unique, one of a kind person who brings something nobody else can to the table. It makes for a richer learning environment and better diversity within the community. The holistic review allows people to feel open to try new things, follow their passions, and discover who they want to be in the world, while grades and GPA constrict the ability of a student to stretch their wings.

6. If schools only looked at grades then they would be lacking a diverse group of students. Everyone has their own experiences that make them unique and I feel a GPA is the farthest thing from a factor that makes someone special. A big role of school is to look what the person was doing outside of the classroom. Maybe they got a B because they took away some study time to counter at a homeless shelter. To me, learning how to interact with people is far more impressive than locking yourself in the library or your bedroom to study all day long. Hollistic review has made it possible for students to not be afraid to venture out of their comfort zone so that they can get real world experience which will prove to be more beneficial than textbook knowledge.