Trapped in the lies

Trapped in the lies

Coming into college we all have our own perception of what is going to be expected of us and how we are going to achieve our goals. Now that we are here, we realize that college is not what any of us assumed it would be. Though we work our tails off and study into the ungodly hours of the night, we are still exposed time and time again to failure. One of the biggest take aways that I got from lecture last week was not to be too hard on myself.

Though none of the panelist directly stated this, they inferred it through numerous responses. for example, many of them explained that grades aren’t everything. One of the lies that I am currently held captive by. They said that it’s more about a holistic approach now but if I don’t get an ‘A’ then I really don’t feel successful, so this made me wonder, am I being too hard on myself?

Another very interesting point that was brought up was a gap year. I never wanted to take a gap year, that was for individuals who didn’t know what they wanted in life, the ones who didn’t have it all together… or so I thought. I thought going through undergrad and straight to my masters would be the only way to achieve what I wanted. I know that this is yet another lie that had control over me, and I can’t be too hard on myself if I need some time to regroup.

After listening to the panel, do you feel like you are too hard on yourself? What made you realize that there might be a different path you could take through school?

3 thoughts on “Trapped in the lies

1. Emily– Your blog post was spot on! Those two points that the panelists brought up regarding grades/holistic approach and the gap year were two things that surprised me the most.

Ever since we were younger, we’ve become accustomed to strive for good grades and receive good results. And over time, good grades became the sole definition of our performance in a certain class or field. We began to rely only on these letter grades that we ended up forgetting our other interests, our hobbies, and our non-academically related activities. Although this idea has certainly crossed my mind in the past, after listening to the panel, I definitely feel that I am frequently too hard on myself. The panelists explained that grades aren’t everything, yet because we’ve been so focused on receiving that letter A in the past, if we don’t achieve it, what does that say about our performance?

Many of the panelists also mentioned that they had, or are currently taking a gap year from their studies. Prior to listening to these speakers, I did not think that many medical /pre-health students would take a year or more off especially with many years of medical school or master’s degree programs down the road. I learned that taking a gap year can be an excellent decision for individuals who need some time rethinking what they actually want to pursue in the future, in addition to spending time interning/working in variety of professional settings to gain real-life working experiences.

2. Like you and many others, I also thought that your success in college is primarily based on the grades you get. Recently, I have had poor grades in some of my classes and it felt like the end of the world. It was very reassuring to here other people who were in the same position as me say that it is ok if you don’t always do as well as you would like to. I was also glad to hear that taking a gap year is not just for the people that are unsure of what they want to do next. This panel really got me interested in the idea of using my gap year to get huge amounts of experience I would have otherwise passed up.

3. When I first came to the University of Michigan I had very high expectations for myself and I still do, but I just had to realize that not getting that A in a class is okay. Being the perfectionist I am I would always get down on myself when I received a B on an exam or even a homework assignment. I just had to remind myself that I am far from perfect and I will make mistakes, but it is up to me to learn from them. Therefore, I don’t think I am too hard on myself I just feel like I know what I am capable of so whatever I do I want to do it to my maximum potential. When I don’t receive the grade I thought I deserved I go straight to my professor to see what I did wrong and figure out how I can improve from it. Realizing that everyone makes mistakes and not comparing myself to other people helped me a lot. I have goals that I want to accomplish, but it takes hard work and dedication. The panelist reassured me that it is okay if you mess up, but picking yourself up afterwards is what matters and that will get you on the right path. Knowing yourself and knowing what YOU want to do will put you on the path to success.