Strive for Happiness

Strive for Happiness

Failure is bad. It means you failed to achieve your goals, and society does not tolerate failure. Now as college students, failure is detrimental to our plans to become healthcare professionals. However, listening to the stories of past HSSP members, I realized I was wrong.

One of my favorite messages that I got out of this lecture was that failure isn’t always bad; it is only bad if you let it be bad. Many students come to the University of Michigan with plans to become doctors, nurses, engineers, writers, musicians, and many more, and some of them are scared to venture out of their comfort zone to explore classes or events that they are unfamiliar with, including myself. Reginald Hammond’s pre-health myth: “You are a failure if you do not stick to the plan that you had prior to attending college” surprised me because it is sometimes very hard for someone to change paths after they have decided on their goals. However, Reginald’s advice made me become aware of the fact it is vital that we give ourselves time to sit back, reflect on our personal experiences, and ask: do you like what you are doing, are you happy with where you are?

This taught me that life is not always going to go my way, but I have to deal with whatever is thrown my way: good or bad. I need to make sure that I have meaningful experiences during my college and pre-health journey. I won’t join a club just because my resume will look better. I won’t be afraid to change my ways if I feel that I am not happy with my experiences. I will be brave and take risks to achieve what I am most passionate about and make my life rich with valuable experiences where I can one day look back on and not regret.

These were significant messages that I got out of the lecture. What were yours?

6 thoughts on “Strive for Happiness

1. I really like the points you made about failure. When all of the people on the panel were talking about the bad grades they got or classes that they failed, I was quite surprised. Not only did they fail classes, but they got in to some of the top graduate programs in the nation.

The fact that life is not going to always go as expected is also a great point. Whenever things don’t go as expected, one should reevaluate the situation and make a decision of how to proceed. I think the biggest lesson I learned from the lecture was to not stress about grades too much. Grades are certainly important, but they are not everything.

2. I love the message you sent in your blog post regarding failure. It reminded me of the point my dad always makes with me. In our success driven society, failure is seen as unacceptable and shameful. But everyone needs to fail at times in their life. If we are not failing it means we are not trying.

I totally agree that you need to take the time to really sit down, think, and ask yourself is this really what I enjoy? I commonly am scared to think and acknowledge this question.

The biggest takeaway I had from class was how all of the panelist urged the students to do what THEY want to do; not what think will look best on their application and not what their parents want for them. I think this can be a hard lesson to learn and one I am still working on but once it is mastered can change the course of your life.

3. Like yours was, my biggest takeaway from the panel at last week’s lecture was that it is okay to fail. I consider myself undecided on a career path. I’ve always had interest in health and some kind of medicine, but I’ve never been able to really nail down what it is that I want to do with my life. Because of this, I’ve tried to take classes that aren’t only pre-requisites for my major, but that hopefully will interest me. These classes are not always easy, and I may not always do as well as I would like to in them, but I would like to think they’re enhancing my knowledge of the world and of myself. The panelists let me know that it’s better to try and to fail than to never try, and I hope I can successfully keep trying new classes throughout my time here at U of M until I find something that I love.

4. In high school, I did things just because they increased my chances of getting into schools like University of Michigan. Although I gained a lot of experience from that, I didn’t find anything outside of sports that I really loved. Now that I am in college, I want to find something that makes me excited and that I passionate about. These activities ultimately will make me an attractive applicant and show who I truly am.

Another thought I had walking out of UC was that I wanted to explore things outside of pre-pa. I want to take the public health classes, especially since two of the guests said that the classes changed their lives.

5. I also resonate with the idea that failure can scare us away from taking risks and truly making the most of our college experience. Going along with this, so many students like myself are completely terrified of failing a class or under-performing. I was surprised to learn that not only did so many of the past HSSP members experienced this, but persevered and went on to do great things. I think it really exemplifies the point that you made that we are going to have our obstacles, but we should instead focus our energy on the passion we have and what we want to learn. In doing that, I think it will prepare us even better for the challenges and journeys we will face in graduate school or post-college life.

6. One of the most important things that I have learned throughout these past first few months of college is that it’s okay if you don’t know EXACTLY what your plans for the future are. Rather, you should be patient with yourself and not hold back from branching out and exploring. Coming into college, I knew what some of my interests were, but I had no idea what I wanted to pursue studying, or how and what career I was going to pursue. By paying attention to the different things that really triggered my interest and by reaching out to different sources to obtain more information, I was finally able to discover what it is I am truly interested in studying. The process was not easy: it took a lot of time, patience, and learning. In the end, my area of interest ended up being different from what I had inferred it to be at the beginning of college. Ultimately, I am glad that I didn’t rush into anything just to say that I knew what my future looked like.