Let’s Reevaluate

Let’s Reevaluate

What surprised me most about Joyce’s presentation was when the panel advised us to do what we are passionate about and asked us about our motivations for doing what we are doing. This struck me because I had to ask myself something very important: have I just convinced myself that I want to be a dentist or do I want to be a dentist because I genuinely love the career? I would be lying if I said that this thought has never occurred to me, but it was only during the panel when I actually seriously thought about this question.

After some pondering, these are my conclusions: first, everything I do and want to do is based on the foundation of the love of helping people. Second, I want to be able to help people through healthcare in a way that allows me to have a one-on-one relationship with them. I realized that the reason I chose dentistry was because it conveniently satisfied all the conditions. Of course, I am still interested in it, and I enjoyed my observation with the dental students, but that is only a snippet of my journey to dentistry. Therefore, I have to keep moving forward with dentistry to see if it is truly my passion, which I must admit is frightening.

In the end, this reevaluation is good for me. Now that I am fully aware that dentistry may or may not be the final destination, I can plan ahead and be prepared. I need to be open, open to explore different classes UM has to offer. I plan to dabble in classes that I am less knowledgeable about such as public health, women’s studies, and social change. Maybe these classes will lead me to discover what I am really passionate about, or maybe these classes will lead me to pursue dentistry even harder.

Let me leave you with this question: have you done your own reevaluation of your future?

7 thoughts on “Let’s Reevaluate

1. I really enjoyed this post because I can deeply relate to it. Often, I will think to myself if I am pursuing what I really want, or if I am just pursuing it because it is what my family expects of me, or if it just sounds and looks good. My whole life, I have wanted to be a doctor. Now that I am here in college, I constantly wonder if I’m good enough. I came to college expecting to get perfect grades and fall into that pre-med category that my family expects of me. It is definitely challenging, because at the end of the day I do want to help people, and I do want to be in the medical field. But sometimes I wonder if a physician is what I truly need to be to satisfy my goals and passions. If someone were to ask me what I wanted to be, I would say “doctor” in an instant, but at the end of the day, I do have my doubts. Especially after getting that bad exam grade, or watching other people out-perform me. Ultimately, I think it comes down to what is going to make you happy, and what you are willing to do to get there. I feel that we all come into college with this unrealistic goal of knowing exactly what we are going to do, so we put our heads down and speed through classes in an attempt to reach that final goal. Like you said, I think we need to reevaluate and start pursuing things because we love them and we are passionate about them, and to stop letting grades and other people’s success determine our self worth.

2. Great post, Di! Reevaluation of the future is frightening because it opens the doors of the endless list of uncertainties in life. However, it is also a beneficial and often necessary step in the process of finding one’s purpose. During the final years of high school, I remember the hot topic of discussion being what we wanted to do for the rest of our lives. We would all panic and rush to find a passion that we’d stick with throughout college and graduate school because we assumed it was expected of us. Now that I’m in college, I’ve learned that it’s never too late to explore different careers paths. Listening to the panelists and their experiences definitely reinforced that things are never set and stone. As a student at Michigan, it’s easy to get wrapped up in academics and focus on a perfect GPA and built-up resume. The panelist showed that the importance of college and the opportunities given is to find who we are and what makes us happy in life. I believe that when we keep our minds open to new possibilities, we’ll eventually find the right path. I currently plan on pursuing a career in dentistry, but I accept the thought of my path changing courses at any moment. I appreciate college as a time to discover who I am and what I’m truly passionate about.

3. I have thought about my future a lot lately, mostly because of the information we have received multiple times about doing what we are passionate about in college. I came here wanting to major in biology, even though the sciences aren’t my favorite subjects. After hearing many times that med schools don’t care what I major in, as long as I am passionate about it, I began to ask myself what exactly am I passionate about? I honestly don’t know what I am passionate about, and that scares the crap out of me. I know as I take more classes and explore the university I will find my passions, but the not-knowing is kind of scary. I’ve always been a planner, so having to just go with the flow is a little worrying, especially because it is important to my future. Because I’m not really sure about my passions, I don’t even know if I am passionate about being a doctor, or if I just want to be a doctor because my mom never got the chance to live her dream of being a doctor. Thankfully, I have learned that I am passionate about cultures, so I guess I’ll see where that takes me.

4. I have also been doing a lot of thinking about my future career plans and whether or not I am actually pursuing something that I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. Since I am in the school of nursing, I do not have much of an opportunity to explore different career paths through classes. For the nursing class I am in, we are reading stories written by nurses about their experiences, especially the hardships. Sometimes this worries me and I think “Is nursing what I really want to do with my life?” My interest in nursing was really sparked by the suggestions of my family members saying they thought nursing would be a good fit for me. But during my staff nurse observation at the hospital, I enjoyed myself so much that any worries about nursing being a good fit disappeared. Without this opportunity to kind of reevaluate my situation and get some experience in the hospital, I still think I would be a little uneasy about my career choice. Now I know going forward that what I am doing is something that I chose for myself, not for family or friends.

5. To answer your question have I done a reevaluation of my future, and the answer is no. I after reading your post and from what I heard from the panel, it is important that I try and reevaluate my future. I know that I want to pursue pharmacy because that is what I want to do, not because my mom wants me to. But after realizing that there is so much here at this school, I’m not sure if I still want to do it. I am still appealed to it, but is it for me? There are still a lot of things that I need to consider before changing my mind. But is is good Di that you have an open mind for the careers that are out there. Explore what they have here at U of M!

6. I actually really enjoyed your post and I have reevaluated my future. I originally thought that I was going to major in biology, go to med school and become a pediatrician. As time has passed I have decided that I will not be majoring in biology but I still want to attend medical school and pursue my career choice. After taking a biology class and dropping it I decided to no longer major in biology because it was boring for me and I wasn’t happy with that being my major. After this incident I decided that it would be best for me to major in something that interests me. I am currently exploring other majors that do capture my attention and that don’t give me anxiety. I feel as if this reevaluation is for the best and it will result in me not only be happy but also satisfied with my career and how I get there.

7. This was the exact thing that resonated with me as well, as I sit and study for an exam in a biochem class that won’t actually count as a biochemistry class if I were to transfer into a different school within Michigan.
    I feel this panel could not have come at a better time for me as I feel I am currently going through a quarter life crisis (I know I’m being dramatic). It really eased the fear of mine that I need to finish my undergrad within 4 years and that I didn’t actually waste a year if I plan to transfer to a different school within Michigan because this year will have provided me with the practice and experience necessary to truly thrive in my next years here.
    So to answer your question Di: YES I have reevaluated my life and my future at least a million times and I expect that there are plenty more reevaluations to come. This panel showed me that that experience is both normal and expected, and those who do not go through it are truly the lucky ones.