Candidate Vs. Candidate – Health Care

Candidate Vs. Candidate – Health Care

In less than 2 days, America will have a new president, and with a new president comes new policy. The two presidential candidates, Donald Trump, and Hillary Clinton have differing health care policies, both of which will dramatically change health care in America if fully implemented.

Clinton’s plan builds off of the Affordable Care Act, which in turn was built off of previous health care reforms starting with Truman’s early efforts. This incrementalism is the most stable, and thus far, effective way to move forward in terms of health care progress. Another strong point of Clinton’s plan is stopping direct to consumer advertising subsidies for drug companies, and requiring drug companies with taxpayer support to invest in research-not marketing. This, along with streamlining the production of generic drugs, would increase competition, drive down costs, and give consumers more choices. Clinton’s plan does have weaknesses, including the methods by which her plan is implemented. She wishes to expand Medicaid and decrease out-of-pocket costs, but this may very well come to fruition in the form of tax increases. No plan is truly free, and the expansion of so many programs may come at the expense of Americans across the board.

Trump emphasizes following free market principles to broaden access to care and lower costs. A strong point is allowing health insurance sales across state lines, and if it works as intended, it would increase competition and lower prices. He also wants to remove free market entry barriers for drug providers that offer safe, reliable, and cheaper products, which would lower prescription drug costs through greater choice and competition. Trump’s plan is not without its flaws. A striking infirmity in Trump’s plan is dismantling the Affordable Care Act. There is too much uncertainty and risk involved with repealing this piece of legislation that has provided insurance to millions of previously uninsured Americans. In addition, there have been studies that show that health care premiums would have increased regardless of the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

Both candidates have similar big picture goals such as increasing competition among health insurance providers and reducing costs, however they are polar opposites when it comes to contentious issues including, but not limited to providing insurance to undocumented immigrants or reallocating funds to or from government health organizations such as Planned Parenthood. Trump seeks to enforce immigration laws & restrict visas to stop providing care to undocumented immigrants, while Clinton plans to expand access to health care to families regardless of immigration status. Clinton vows to continue funding and supporting Planned Parenthood, while Trump has repeatedly called for its defunding. Which policies do you think will be in America’s best interest, or not in America’s best interest?

21 thoughts on “Candidate Vs. Candidate – Health Care

1. Hi Seth,
    Your synopsis of the opposing views and policies was great and if I had to choose which would be in America’s best interest it would definitely be Hillary’s. Unlike Trump, Hillary provides us with a clear and safe idea of what she wants to do. Like you, I believe building off of the ACA is most beneficial. Taking it away and replacing it leads to much uncertainty and is therefore very risky in my opinion. Hillary’s idea of creating more competition by having companies put there money into research instead of marketing is a great idea. Drug companies are taking full advantage of patients by raising prices excessively of things that have been available for quite a while. To be honest, I’m not sure what Trump wants and truly believe that Clinton’s views, compared to Trump’s, will benefit us most.

2. After some deep thought, I think that Clinton’s health care policies have America’s best interest. It is like you said—there is a lot of uncertainty with Trump’s repeal of the ACA. After somewhere around 75 years of working towards something like the ACA within the United States, to eliminate all the progress scares me. Moreover, I too have read that premiums would have gone up regardless.

While I do contend that the ACA is riddled with bugs, so-to-speak, I think it would be much simpler to expand on the ACA while giving it a reboot. ACA does have a lot of positives—women don’t charge higher on insurance rates, preventative services like cancer screenings and vaccines are part of the deal and so on and so forth.

It is sad that within this election, health care reform has gone on the back-burner. I remember when watching the presidential debates, health care policies of both candidates were brought up once, flippantly, lasting around 5 minutes. Like you said, ACA has provided health insurance to millions of previously uninsured Americans. Moreover, health insurance affects all of us.

I really do wish that more can be done and more thought to be put into effect, as a young, healthy student, health insurance has not been on the forefront of my mind in the midst of this election, I admit. But the consequences of whichever presidential candidates policies will affect me for years to come.

3. Hi Seth,

I agree with you that the costs of drugs is a large issue currently which makes it important that both Clinton and Trump address it in their plans. I do understand your point as well that decreasing our out of pocket costs in Clinton’s plans will end up coming out of our pockets anyhow. If only there was someway we could subsidize medicare without an increase in taxes, her plan would be helpful. I also see your point in the disadvantage of Trump’s plan of tearing down the Affordable Care Act. With all the resources that has gone to making the ACA, it would be very inefficient to have to go back and start over. In response to the question you posed, I think Clinton’s plan would be in America’s best interest because it gives a wider access to health care. Likewise, Trump’s plan would be wasteful and inefficient in removing the ACA and building a new healthcare structure.

4. Hi Seth,
    I really like your overview over both candidates’ plans for the future. I agree with you that both plans have flaws. We have no idea how Trump’s healthcare plan would look like and him repealing the ACA would bring up a lot of issues and questions, for example: What would happen to the people that are currently benefitting from the expansion of Medicare under the ACA? Would hospitals be allowed to turn people they don’t feel like treating (e.g. same sex couples) away?
    A lot of progress has been made with the ACA and even though it’s not flawless it’s definitely something that’s worth building upon instead of completely tearing it down. I guess my one sided argument answers your question pretty well. I really do think that Hillary’s plans are in America’s best interest and hope we will get to see the ACA live a little longer.

5. Hi Seth,
    You did a great job of highlighting all the important policies of each candidate. I agree with what many people have said about Trump’s idea to revoke the ACA being risky. To answer your question, I think Clinton’s policy would be of America’s best interest because it carries out the goals of the ACA to provide more people with access to healthcare. Trump on the other hand wants to start from scratch without the ACA which may hurt some people.

6. Hi Seth,
    I agree with you that both Clinton’s and Trump’s plans have bad parts to them, however there are good parts to both of them as well. I agree with Clinton’s plan to maintain the ACA, too much work has gone into that plan for it to just be scraped over night. There are flaws in it, but those can be fixed with time. I like that Trump is looking to allow insurance plan sales over state lines, I think that could be very beneficial to those looking to buy insurance.
    I am concerned with the fact that both candidates are looking to import drugs from overseas. I think this could be detrimental to the people working at drug companies right now. Also, I think it would be very hard to regulate drugs coming in from other countries. There are good and bad aspects to both of the candidates health care plans, much like anything.

7. Hi Seth,
    You did a great job summarizing both candidates health care policies. I agree with you and many others that building off of the ACA and focusing on resolving the issues within the system is much more stable and effective than trying to build from scratch. Though both candidates definitely have flaws and weaknesses in their health care policies, I can easily say that I feel much more comfortable with Hilary’s policy. Though both candidates do a decent job at addressing a wide range of issues within their plans, I believe Clinton does a better job at explaining how she is going to resolve the issues as well as amend for the risks that may be included. Her plan is much more secure, logical, and reliable than Trump’s.  I also agree with Hanna that importing drugs from overseas will hurt many American drug distributing companies and employees. Regulating the safety of the drugs and trading policies with foreign countries will be incredibly difficult. Overall, I think we can all agree that this is a very interesting, yet important election that has a great affect on our lives as future health care professionals.

8. Hi Seth,
    You did a great job presenting the policies of both candidates! I would have to agree that Clinton’s healthcare plan is the better choice. I like that Clinton wants to drive down drug costs and reinvest money directed towards advertising in research. Drug costs are absurdly high in the U.S., and this is something that needs to change. Her idea to allow the importation of drugs from overseas could be part of the solution to this, but I agree with Alysa that it could also harm American businesses.
    Clinton’s plan to work within the framework of the ACA is definitely a more reliable option. Trump’s plan is mainly based on free market principles and increasing competition to drive down costs. This could be beneficial, but repealing the ACA and starting from scratch is a big risk. It would pose a huge problem for all the people currently receiving coverage under Obamacare. Also, the ACA allows us to stay under our parents’ health insurance plans until we are 26 and I want things to stay that way. While both candidates do have good ideas, Clinton’s plan seems more clearly detailed and thought out.

9. Trump’s strategies for curbing health care costs are interesting. If they are properly implemented, they could very well decrease health care expenses. Economic models do back up Trump’s plan. That is if the supply of drugs goes up then so will the quantity consumed by the market alongside with a decrease in price of these drugs. However, Trump is a risky proposition for office.

10. I agree with you that both candidates have profoundly different health care plans. I don’t think Clinton’s plan of importing foreign drugs will be in America’s best interest. In most cases, labor is cheaper in foreign countries and as such the drugs will most likely be cheaper. In other words, American companies won’t be able to effectively compete and will eventually run out of business. I also don’t agree with expanding the affordable care act. The affordable care act is possible due to higher taxes. Personally I’m not a fan of having even higher taxes than what currently persist. Trump’s plan of completely dismantling the ACA is preposterous as well. There are countless people in our nation that depend on it to survive and getting rid of it would be inconsiderate.

11. Seth, I appreciate your very nuanced and unbiased approach toward evaluating the differences in Clinton’s and Trump’s healthcare plans. While there are meritable portions of the ACA, I think that Clinton’s plan to further the ACA must take into consideration the increase in premiums that have resulted in damaging the middle-class here in America. In addition, the individual mandate strips individual freedoms by forcing everyone to buy into healthcare. This universal, socialized mandate does not allow freedom of choice. Nevertheless, I appreciate Clinton’s efforts to invest more in research than in advertising as the latter far often proves to be a waste of taxpayer dollars that could be directed to useful venues. On the other hand, I think that Trump’s plan to defund Planned Parenthood is a step in the right direction as we need to comprehensively evaluate the goals and efficacy of this organization.

12. I appreciate that you used specific examples in your post such as their plans for immigrants and planned parenthood. I agree that both plans have flaws and I think that this is because Health Care is a very complicated topic and the candidates have been focusing on other things, however, I believe that Health Care should one of the most important and most talked about issues of their campaign. But, of course I am not here to say what they should be focusing on, instead let’s look into what they have said about health care. Although some parts of Hillary’s plan does not seem reasonable, I fully believe that it will be a lot more efficient than Trump’s, not to mention that it will be much easier to implement.

I think it is important that you highlighted their stances on planned parenthood because while this is a partisans issue, I believe that Planned Parenthood is something that everyone should support. Trump’s stance on Planned Parenthood as well as Roe V Wade is both outdated and unfair to women. His policies in this area are what upset me most in regards to health care

13. I agree with your statements on both candidates. I do believe that both candidates have strong points, Clinton’s plan of stopping direct to consumer advertising subsidies for drug companies and Trumps plan of allowing health insurance sales across state lines in order to increase competition and lower prices are points that make them very strong. Furthermore, I agree completely when you say there is a lot of uncertainty to Trumps plan to dismantle the Affordable Care Act beacuse no one really knows what he plans to do with it after it is dismantled. When it comes to Hillary’s plan it is more clear and there is no uncertainty behind what she plans to do. Within Trumps plan there are just too many gaps that need to be filled. Overall I do feel as if both candidates have points that make them strong and weak .

14. I agree that Clinton’s plan is much more stable as it builds upon the Affordable Care Act. I think it could be safer for our country if we slowly build on a previous act instead of tearing it down and creating a brand new plan. With a new plan comes risks of the plan not working. Trump’s plan seems like it could possibly work, but there’s also the chance that it doesn’t work. Also, Clinton’s plan includes allowing more access to more people while Trump’s wants to stop providing care to undocumented immigrants. I think for the future of health, it is better to be more inclusive. However, I do believe that being inclusive can’t be for free and will probably increase taxes.

15. There’s always a large degree of risk associated with completely eliminating a policy. In doing so, we uproot any form of progress that the policy has made and move in a completely different direction. In the case of the ACA, getting rid of it would obviate decades of slow, but meaningful progress towards moving in the right direction.

Granted, the policy isn’t perfect in and of itself, but it’s laid the necessary foundation to help Americans all across the country. It’s for this reason that Clinton’s healthcare policies, which suggest modifications towards a “step in the right direction” is a more workable strategy than Trumps’s reckless upheaval of decades of American progress.

16. I agree on what was said about both candidates. Clinton’s plan will be build upon previous, and I believe it is much stable. It will not start from scratch in which I believe will have its consequences and risks if it does.
    With no candidate having a perfect record, it shouldn’t prevent from individuals from voting. Every vote counts. Each candidate has their own strong points and weak points. It shouldn’t define the whole candidate. There are pros and cons about each individuals plans, but one should go for what they believe to be best in their opinion in which will help the country prosper.

17. Hi Seth,
    You did a really good job of comparing the strengths and weaknesses of each plan that we talked about in class. In response to your question, while Hillary’s plan to build off of the ACA would save time and money, I do not think that it necessarily makes it the better option. I have seen first hand some of the flaws of the ACA. The expansion of the ACA, like you said, would most likely come out of our pockets. As the son of a small business owner, I have seen how the regulations and fees of the ACA are already putting a huge strain on small businesses, which in the long run will lead to fewer jobs.
    I do not necessarily understand why we would expand health care to families regardless of their immigration status. In the long run this will cost American citizens more money. I do think that everyone deserves health care, but if they are not citizens of America, why should it be coming from tax payer money?

18. Hi Seth,
    Great job summarizing both candidates health care plans. I agree that it is really important that Clinton wants to build not he Health Care system that we already have in place. A lot went into creating the current system we have so it’d be disappointing to see it all crumble.

I like how inclusive Clinton’s plan. I do not like how Trump plans to exclude immigrants. Though, I like Clintons’s plan much more I do notice there are many things that are not near perfect. I will also admit that trump does have some strong points to his plan yet his is very inconsistent and left to ones imagination because he did not give the American people a lot to off of.

I did not go into this lecture undecided but learning the health care policies did help solidify my decision.

19. Hi Seth,
    I really liked your summary on the views and policies of both Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump. For Hilary i would definitely choose her plan since she wants to build upon it, unlike Trump who wants to take away Obama Care and start a Health Savings Account (HSA). Building off the ACA would be more beneficial then making an entirely new plan which isn’t full developed. Even though Trump is showing price transparency in his healthcare plan, his policy goes against equity in healthcare.

20. With the election one day away, it’s definitely imperative that we familiarize ourselves with each candidate’s policies. I would definitely choose Hillary’s plan, since it continues to build on the current progress of the Affordable Care Act that has been made by President Obama. Tearing down what has been started in order to implement other policies is not wise, given that healthcare coverage is such an important yet controversial topic. Trump’s ideas are not fully developed, and it would take several years, if not decades to build up from the foundation of his ideas. Although Trump’s policies do have some strengths, such as removing free market entry barriers for drug providers, there are inherently many problems with his overall plan that cannot be overlooked.

21. Very detailed post, Seth. Your analysis of Clinton’s plan building upon the work done in the past by Democrats is incredibly relevant in this election, as much of the hard work Obama has placed into the ACA could be lost come this election. I also appreciated your unbiased look on what are some clear pros to Trump’s plan. While less robust and detailed, insurance sales across state lines is certainly an important and positive element of his plan.

In hindsight, it’s hard to argue one plan is in all areas better than the other, simply because they cover different areas to different extents. What will likely sway the decisions on which plan is more beneficial will depend on the healthcare plans’ connection to other social and political issues, such as immigration and abortions. As you mentioned, Trump is willing to deny healthcare coverage to minorities without credible visas, and is set on dismantling Planned Parenthood. It isn’t surprising that these aspects of the plan alone form people’s decisions, while blinding them to other elements of Trump’s plan independent of other issues he has taken a controversial stance on.