Week 8 – Leaving a Legacy

Week 8 – Leaving a Legacy

Leaving a legacy is something thought differently depending on what side you are on.  If you are the person who is dying or has died, things you do during your lifetime that make a difference might mean your legacy.  While other times, leaving your legacy might mean who you leave your worldly assets to.  If you are the person left behind after your loved one passes, the importance might not always be how much they worked but instead how much they loved and were loved.  As health care providers, we will see our patients and their families talking about the legacy that they plan to leave and the families talk about the legacy that will leave or have left.  Personally, I hope that we will all make an impact during our careers, whether it is through an important medical discovery to helping a patient and their family through a difficult situation.    How we react to a patient or their families during stressful times might impact this view of their legacy, and at times they might be looking to us for reassurance or confirmation of what they think.  I think knowing how we want to leave our own legacy might impact others around us.  How do you think someone would view your legacy if you were telling them at a critical or end of life scenario?

2 thoughts on “Week 8 – Leaving a Legacy

1. I definitely agree that we as healthcare providers play a role in a person’s legacy. It is really difficult to determine when a person might pass away and when is the correct time to notify their family about their worsening health. Doctors always have that mentality to try to save and heal the patient and make everything better for that patient. But to a point, some patients know that their time has come and they want to prepare themselves and also their family to embrace the last few days, weeks, or months together before they pass away. I feel like through this critical time period, the subject of legacy is the most prevalent. Legacy might be different for everyone. The patient wants the family and his or her friends to know that they lived a great life.

For me, I would define legacy as what I did in my lifetime to strive for a greater purpose and who I was a person and what I did. I know for me that I would want my family and friends to know that I lived a great life and that I had purpose and did something great for humanity and the world. I want them to know that I was happy and cheerful and that I would always be by their side when I pass away. I know this would be difficult to grasp on in a critical period of the end of my life, but to my family and friends, I will always be in their hearts and minds. The question is, what is your definition of legacy and what do you want to be remembered for?

2. an aspect of leaving your legacy is the amount of time that you will be alive for. If you do not think that your health care provider plays a major role in this then i would be skeptical to believe your views on anything else. Take Michael Jackson for example, he was one of the greatest musicians in the history of music but his brand never got developed like Michael Jordan. He has had the life span to stay alive and healthy enough to build his brand. Who knows how iconic Michael Jackson would be if his health care provider was more successful with keeping him alive. In reply to your blog post I am one of the people that base my legacy off of the impact i had on the world.