Me After Death

Me After Death

When I die, I hope that the life I was able to live was a life of meaning. This is partially reflected on the people whom I had positively influenced. I understand that the things I said and did and accomplished will soon be drowned in time, but I hope that I will be remembered for how I made the people I encountered in my life feel, no matter they are a short acquaintance, or a close confidant, or anything in between. Were they built up through their interactions with me or did I put them down. I hope the answer to that is I made them feel loved, cared for, empowered, encouraged. The relationships I created, sustained, and restored; at the end of the day, that is what makes me happy and that is what people are going to remember when they think of me. I hope that some of the values I hold true throughout my life, values such as discipline, tenacity, faith, boldness, will be carried down to the people who sees those embodied in me, that somehow, they can learn from the places I did well on as well as the places I failed at, both are equally important, and they will be able to benefit in some way.

4 thoughts on “Me After Death

1. I don’t like thinking or talking about death. I think that at our age, we feel like we have an entire future awaiting for us, and that we still have a long life to live. But death is an inevitable reality, so I’m glad that we opened up a conversation about it in last week’s lecture. I really like how you say, “the things I said and did and accomplished will soon be drowned in time”. No matter how famous or how rich a person becomes in his life, he won’t be able to take any of those with him when he’s facing death. What remains in this world is how he treated the people around him, how he lived to make this life meaningful for himself and for others. So I hope that after my death, I’ll be remembered for who I am as a person. I hope that I’ll have had made positive impacts on this world; whether it is to make a stranger smile, to support an upset friend, or to treat and care for patients as a physician. As long as I have loved, learned, and made a difference, I’ll have no regret when I leave.

2. “But I hope that I will be remembered for how I made the people I encountered in my life feel.” I like this point so much! I personally interpret the word “how” as the emotions and passions you have when you are doing something and the effort you put into doing it. I feel like it is very important especially for those work in the medical field. I volunteered in hospital when I was a high school sophomore. I once believed it was medical knowledge and raw talent that made a doctor stand out. However, the experience taught me that it is something far simpler – the human element of compassion, where one can establish a connection on a deeper level beyond simply diagnosing and treating – that is truly irreplaceable. It changed my perspective on medical care in that the emotional connection should happen in the process of treatment, and that compassion is truly one of the most powerful traits one can have. There will always be continued advancements in medical technology, but human doctors will never be replaced.

3. “I am Death, the destroyer of worlds”

Ever since I heard this quote, I became fixated on what it meant. While we know that in this context, death is meant to be the physical destruction possible by the atomic bomb, as this quote was stated by Robert Oppenheim. However, the quote itself is something of a fallacy.

While death may be the physical end of our lives, we are continuously living. Our actions and beliefs will transcend the materialistic demise that happens in our bodies. In our aspirations for a medical career, we wish to help others and leave a lasting impression. As such, it becomes Imperative that we approach death as a milestone, one there we should smile back and approve. The relationships I have created, will maintain, and restored at the end of the day makes me happy. Our empathy with others like us make us human. That very empathy gives are the connection to proceed and succeed. For me, I see death as an inevitable conclusion. However, it stating that, I stand by the notion of living and not dying. Take each day and charge it. No matter the day you, if you are satisfied by the impact that you have left and the impression you live behind, then you are never dead.

My legacy will be that of compassion and change. I do not have to be the leader, the one that will always move forward. However, I will always be the first to help as to complete my humanitarian duty. I will always strive to learn and better, all while truly becoming at peace with who I am as a person and as a fragment of society.

4. Legacy is something I try not to think about, mainly because thinking about it makes me confused and depressed. I feel confused because I really don’t know what I want my legacy to be. I am a very noncommittal person and the thought of doing any specific thing for the rest of my life terrifies me. I think for better or worse, being able to stand out at all in our modern world requires a great degree of specialization (i.e. the Renaissance man no longer exists) and because I feel pulled in so many directions, choosing what I would like to specialize in is very difficult. In addition, I sometimes feel like the question of legacy is somewhat pointless. I would argue that in nearly all cases, the world forgets about you within 3-4 generations. For example, I know nothing about my great-grandfather. Maybe I care about my legacy, but will anyone else?