Discrimination against LGBTQ

Discrimination against LGBTQ

The things that surprised me most about the discrimination were the lack of action when AIDs was first discovered and the role physicians played in increasing discrimination against LGBTQ people. Its really horrible how many people were allowed to die to this disease due to prejudice against the LGBTQ community. It is also horrible how physicians tried to use science to justify their own prejudice. This shows why it is so important to be aware of unconscious bias, so that we do not end up letting it affect how we treat others.

I think the most important part of trying to reduce discrimination is to get people more familiar with people who aren’t like them, as  this can prevent them from viewing groups different them as an ‘other’ like what happened during the AIDs epidemic. While we still have a long way to go to overcome prejudice we are slowly getting closer and can work together to reach that goal faster.

14 thoughts on “Discrimination against LGBTQ

1. I would also like to say that the AIDS epidemic was extremely frightening in so many therms of morality. I already knew that when AIDS was just discovered people though the disease was only susceptible to gay men. I did not know, that little was done in terms was preventive care or curing the disease. Even more amazing was the reason behind the lack of action. Due to the strong national dislike towards the queer community, the federal government decided AIDS was an isolated an unimportant issue at the time. It seems as if the whole country caught a bad case of karma when AIDS began to infect people from all sexual backgrounds. This just goes to sow that we should always help those in need, despite their own personal preferences that differ from our own.

2. The significantly higher suicide attempt rate of the transgender community compared to the general U.S suicide attempt rate gets us a glimpse of how difficult it must be to be a transgender and be happy. It must take so much courage and strength simply to go through every day living true to themselves. It takes a strong soul to refuse to bend to the pressures, the misunderstandings, the indifferences, or even the fear of the rest of the presumably “normal” population. But not everyone of the community is strong enough to be immune to the pressures of society, so they sink into depression, they close their hearts, they kill themselves. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for them to feel safe and content. They are who they are but still, so many do not allow them to be who they are. I am grateful for the past lecture, because as I go on to join the medical profession, I am reminded that I will need to confront individuals from this community and I will be held responsible for any bias I may have even if I may be unaware of them. How I respond to my patient can put down as well as lift up. And it is my goal that I always do the latter.

3. I agree with you. I think that problems like those you mentioned can be addressed more easily when people pay less attention to the stereotypes they have surrounding particular groups, and instead try and form a solution.

4. While we have progressed as a society as far as being more aware and more sensitive towards these issues, we still have plenty of work to do to end gender discrimination. The fact that members of the LGBTQ community often don’t get proper treatment simply because of their identities is sickening. It seems that we never notice these issues until people start dying. When numbers are thrown in our faces we finally get the picture. The best thing we can do is tackle this issue at its face and not allow it to just continue while no one takes action. More lives are going to be lost.

5. I agree that it was horrible that physicians were discriminating LGBQT by stating that only certain people were able to catch such a disease.

What was even worse was that there was not much research thrown into trying to find treatment because they were already against LGBQT in the first place. Because of their ignorance, many more people started to get AIDS, which was finally able to catch the attention of the public.

No one should have to be treat unfairly because of who they are and ignoring people that need help by using discrimination as an excuse is terrible. Stating that one person is different from another just because of their identity is not justification to not provide treatment.

6. I agree that it is really surprising how little was done when the AID’s epidemic broke out. I was amazed in lecture when we were told that it took years for Reagan to even say the word AIDs. If they had just addressed the problem, it probably would not have grown into the huge epidemic that it is. I also found the facts about Truvada really surprising. The fact that there is a pill out there that can greatly reduce a person’s chance of contracting HIV, but they don’t know about it is sad. In a time when more and more people are open about their sexuality, I think it is very important for clinicians to keep up on possible things they can provide for all of their patients.
    I agree with you that it is really important for people to become used to others that they are different from, but how could schools or employers enforce that? I think something like this class could be very useful. Before coming to U of M, I went to small catholic schools my whole life, so I really had minimal contact with the LGBTQ community. I really did not know what to think. Since I have been here though, the more exposure I have had to the topic has really made it easier for me to understand, and a lot of my misconceptions have been cleared up. I think that the doctor’s of our generation will be much more open to the LGBTQ community because we were raised in a time where it is acceptable and welcomed. I think it is mostly important for the doctors who are already doctors, who have not necessarily had the opportunity to clear their own misconceptions, to learn more about the community.

7. I also find it very frightening that people in the medical field chose to ignore a disease because it affected only a certain group of people. People working in the medical field have certain responsibilities that not all people have, because of their position. One of these is to do everything they can in order to help their patients. When physicians or nurses discriminate against their patients because of their lifestyle choices lots of harm is done. This is especially apparent in the LGBTQ community and the AIDS epidemic, so many lives were lost that could have been saved had more doctors cared to research the disease. All lives are extremely valuable and no one in the medical field should get to decide who lives and who dies. If research can be done to help cure a disease or stop its spread it needs to be done, no matter what.

8. I believe many of us were surprised of how little was done to fight the AIDS epidemic when it first broke out. I’m also surprised about how little is being done now. What I mean is how many people are unaware of the resources they have, like the preventive services to avoid contracting the virus. It’s also very surprising that services like these aren’t covered on most healthcare plans. I believe it’s a very important thing for our country to stop the spread of AIDS, and as of right now, I don’t believe we’re doing enough. I also agree that it was absolutely horrible what physicians did to increase discrimination against LGBTQ people in the sense that they made the assumption that only they could contract AIDS. The LGBTQ community was already discriminated on, and all that did was increase the discrimination they had to go through. I somewhat agree with what you said as being the largest role we must take to reduce discrimination. I believe to discrimination, not only against LGBTQ people, but against all people we must stop separating ourselves so easily and so fast. We need to stop placing people into categories and really look at people as what they are, people. Not some label we as a society decided to place on them. I also believe our society is on its way to solving this problem. We’ve become a much more accepting society, but we are no where near perfect yet.

9. I’m also shocked at the complete lack of action medical professionals took during the AIDS epidemic. It’s mind-blowing that these people first decided that they could just generalize this disease to the LGBTQ population, and then also decided that it was okay to just let these people die. These historical examples serve as an example to us to always be conscious of our biases and make every effort to not let them cloud our judgement, in healthcare and in day to day life. It also is just one of many cases of extreme discrimination that the LGBTQ community has faced, and is still facing. I think it’s important for schools at every grade level to focus on educating students about these minority populations and not shy away from these difficult and sometimes controversial subjects. We’ve made a lot of progress towards tolerance, but there’s still a long way to go and education is the first step towards equality.

10. The lack of professional help to LGBTQ while the AIDS epidemic occurred is eye opening yet not surprising. speaking from the perspective of other i could understand why health care providers would not like to help a certain group of people. There are a lot of boundaries that certain men and women would have to cross as professionals that would produce a uncomfortable feeling for many. Speaking from my frame of my mind i am completely open and willing to help anyone that reaches out. There is no logical explanation for the enormous amount of deaths that occurred during this time period. Just because you do not support someone’s lifestyle does not mean they deserve to suffer!

11. Back in the days, Lobotomy was a popular neurosurgical procedure used to treat mental illness such as schizophrenia. Researchers and physicians that that time believed that sticking an ice pick in a person’s head was a legitimate procedure for the surgery. A Nobel Prize in Medicine was even awarded to the inventor of this method. 70 years later, everyone has come to a unanimous behavior that lobotomy was ridiculous, just like other popular practices in the past such as the Geocentric theory, witch hunt and slavery. The more educated people become the more reasonable they are. I’m sure people in the future will look and laugh at the biased individuals today. The best thing we can to change the bias is through education.

12. It also surprised me that physicians would discriminate against the LGBTQ community. They have come a long way to help and treat people only to discriminate one group of people is unfair. A physician is supposed to help an individual in need despite their background or race.
    Everyone deserves to get the help they need. I hope in the future that situations like before never repeat itself because it is terrible that many individuals weren’t given the attention they need just because of their preferences which had no correlation to their health, or should’ve been a factor. At the end of the day, progress is slowly being made.

13. I was not very surprised that physicians would discriminate against the LGBTQ community. As of right now, in our society, it’s to be expected considering that many parts of the society are unwilling to accept that different aspect and personalities that make up our society. So, I agree that the first step to making change is to learn that things are changing and you may not always accept them, but these new characteristics of society make people who that are and everyone has a right to be who they are when they want to be it.

14. I agree I feel that the discrepancies between these groups in regards to healthcare is problematic. Though, I feel that reforms are coming naturally with the changing mindsets of the people as a whole.