American Health Care after the ACA

American Health Care after the ACA

I think the main thing in Obama’s JAMA article that surprised me was how the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has had an impact in more areas than just health care costs and the number of people insured. With the ACA, more money has been put towards antifraud efforts, to make sure those that receive Medicare/Medicaid need it. In addition, the number of people that got additional illnesses in the hospital has gone down by 17% in the past four years. This has prevented roughly 87,000 deaths over the past 4 years, which is mind-boggling to me. Also, fewer Medicare patients are being readmitted to the hospital within 30 days of their discharge, going down from 19.1% to 17.8%. This meant about 565,000 fewer readmissions in the past five years.

I looked at Clinton and Trump’s health care plans side-by-side, and a few things definitely worried me. As a woman, the biggest thing is the fact that Trump wants to defund Planned Parenthood, an organization that helps millions of women receive health care. They do so much more than abortions, and he wants to shut them down. As someone who could very well need their services some day, it scares me to think that Planned Parenthood might not be there for me. In addition, Trump opposes abortion, especially late-term abortion. It’s been proven time and time again that legalizing abortions did not increase the amount of abortions women had, but decreased the amount of deaths and illnesses from getting an abortion. I adamantly believe that no one, especially not a man who has never, and will never, have to deal with a pregnancy and everything that goes along with it, has the right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body. If abortions become illegal, or become harder to access, you can expect the number of complications due to unsafe abortions to increase.

The first thing that I think needs to be improved in the health care system is the cost of health insurance and health care. These costs have not decreased, rather just increased at a slower rate. There are still so many people without insurance, mainly because it is still so expensive. We need to find a way to make these services more affordable. The second thing that I think needs to be improved is the cost of drug prescriptions. There is little regulation on drug costs, which lead to the outrageous price hike of the life-saving epipen. Families should not have to worry about affording drugs and services that are essential to them leading a healthy and happy life

10 thoughts on “American Health Care after the ACA

1. I completely agree with Liliana on how Obama’s JAMA article highlighted the numerous ways the Affordable Care Act helps healthcare. There have been fewer additional illnesses for patients in hospitals, a huge decrease in mortality rates, and a much smaller readmission rate for hospital patients. Obamacare has done so much more than just addressing insurance policy issues. It
    has made for a healthier country with numbers to prove it.

With the Presidential election of 2016 coming up quickly, the healthcare plans of both Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump are extremely relevant and important. As a fan of Obamacare and what it offers, I prefer Clinton’s healthcare approach, one that will uphold Obamacare. As for Trump, I agree with Liliana in which one of my biggest concerns would be the defunding of Planned Parenthood and the unethical implications that could bring. Trump plans on repealing and replacing Obamacare with Health Savings Accounts, a plan I believe that would fail and work against the past eight years of American politics and history.

The U.S healthcare system is broken, and fixing it entirely would be nearly impossible. Two imperfections, though, would include the unethical insurance agencies working for money and not the people, and the poor public health in the U.S. In other developed nations, such as Finland and Japan, the healthcare system is a beautiful, well-oiled machine. Health insurance companies are non-profit and healthcare is not an issue. Fixing this in the U.S would be extremely difficult and would take a long time. Also, I think one of the biggest factors for our struggling healthcare system all begins with the poor public health of the U.S. If people were healthier, made better choices, and learned more about public health, then healthcare would not be such a large issue in the States. Obesity, mortality rates, and other health issues are high in the U.S compared to similar, developed nations around the globe. This problem starts with the people, then the government.

2. I also found it incredible of how the ACA has helped many more Americans get insured, and that the rate of people getting getting sick again has gone down due to the improved care at hospitals. I agree that ACA has definitely made a positive impact on the future medical system of the United States. It’s not a perfect system, but we are on the way to a better progress compared to where the country was before ACA in 2010.
    The elections are coming fast and the future of the health care system are in the hands of our two candidates, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Personally, I agree with Liliana. The thought of repealing the ACA after decades of health care reforms to get to where we are today seems ridiculous. What would be the purpose of doing that? Not only does it cause a more major problem in the health care system, but it would make us turn back in time to the hardships that the last 60-70 years of healthcare reforms took place. We don’t have that much time to fool around and experiment with other ideas. Our goal is to always make tweaks and improvements with our current plan and provide the best health care to everyone here in the United States. Clinton’s plan seems more like a viable option to continue making the tweaks to the ACA.
    It is quite shocking that the United States, one of the most developed countries in the world, has one of the worst health care system among the developed world as well. I think one problem is that insurance companies and health care industries always seem to have a huge impetus of making profitable gains instead of focusing on the passion of helping insure that everyone has access to quality healthcare. I feel like the government needs to play a bigger role on how much companies can charge for insurance and also for medicines. Another problem we also have to focus on are how to make sure that everyone is getting insured and quality health care. Some areas are not getting the standardized health care that most others are receiving. I feel like we need to reach out to areas that may need more assistance so it could be fair. If we the people implement some of these ideas, then maybe, health care could improve.

3. I cannot agree more with your statement. I am worried about the same thing with Trump. I do not think it is right for him to just cut off the Planned Parenthood. That is such an essential part of the health care system that is built within every state. I know back in Chicago, Illinois that our Planned Parenthood comes in handy. They visited my school and explained their work on how they test all kinds of sexual transmitted diseases for those who are worried that they might have it, and from statistics, there are 1 million people in the world diagnosed with Chlamydia; 400,000 people diagnosed with Gonorrhea; 50,000 people diagnosed with HIV. That’s only in 2012. Imagine now. These people need the free treatments that Planned Parenthood offers.

4. I completely agree with you on your first statement. It’s quite sad, really that the ACA has been talked about so badly when actually it did do good. And that’s not just people saying they feel like the ACA has helped, there are, like you said, numbers to prove it.

Trumps plans regarding Planned Parenthood worry me a lot. I think that instead of taking a step further with improving healthcare he would take the country a huge leap backwards. A country that is so proud of the freedom it offers should not start regulating or even prohibiting the choices women get to make about their own bodies.

Improving the costs of healthcare is in fact substantial. I really do hope that this huge issue will at least be attempted to be solved by the next president.

5. I believe the ACA has done some amazing things for Americans such as the 43% decrease in the uninsured rate. The fact that this is the largest decrease in 5 decades speaks volumes about the effectiveness of the ACA. Repealing this act as Trump has mentioned seems to be a step backwards in healthcare reform.
    In addition, the defunding of Planned Parenthood is very worrying. However, Trump’s position on this issue has changed many times. First, he said he wanted to defund the whole project. Then he softened his stance saying he would fund services other than abortions. I agree far more with the strong position Hillary has held in regard to Planned Parenthood including increasing its funding. She recognizes the services they provide including, but not exclusive to, abortions.
    Finally, in regards to the prices of drug prescriptions I agree wholeheartedly with your stance. When drugs are a necessity for people to live their normal lives, the prices of such necessities need to be regulated. There are numerous examples of price-hiking most famously is the 4,000% price increase by Martin Shkreli of the drug Daraprim which had been on the market for decades. Martin managed to obtain the drugs manufacturing license and increased the price from $18 per tablet to $750. This is ridiculous pricing and regulation needs to be introduced to combat such egregious acts that prevent drugs from being accessible to those that need them.

6. The fact you mentioned in the beginning, that the Affordable Care Act has done more than affect health care costs and the number of people insured, is very important. A majority of criticism Obama’s program receives has to do solely with the individual mandate and government encroachment. It is a major issue that so many of the people who take this stance are blind to the more underlying elements of the ACA, such as how the ACA is tailored to different communities based on socio-economics and employment, and the way it has limited anti-fraud, as you mentioned.

With this in mind, it is horrifying that all the work Obama has put into this extensive and important initiative is on the line in November. One outcome will mean a continuance of the inclusivity and ease healthcare has become accustomed with through the ACA, and the other means not only a more harmful environment for women in America (as you mentioned through Planned Parenthood), but for all Americans who are seeking health services or healthcare. Whether the strides made in health care in the last eight years are allowed to continue or become lost is entirely up to us.

As for the problems you (and many others) mentioned, base health care and prescription costs are a problem for many indeed, but compared to where these prices stood years ago, progress is being made. Free healthcare is something all Americans are entitled too, but one could say the same about a college education, something that will likely never be free of charge. Costs are being taken into account, and for now, the price cuts through the ACA are a step in the right direction.

7. I completely agree with you. I do think it’s sad how all the benefits that came from the ACA are often overlooked. In addition, Donald Trump’s healthcare plan frightens me, as well. He seems to make the assumption that Planned Parenthood is an organization that is completely dedicated to abortions when, in fact, 97% of it is dedicated to providing healthcare.
    Improving the cost of healthcare will make it a lot more accessible to families who are in need of it. This will be an important goal for the U.S. because it’s what we have been striving to achieve for the past few decades.

8. As stated by everyone else, I also agree with Liliana’s statement that Trump’s healthcare plan is worrisome, especially regarding the opposition against Planned Parenthood. The idea that a man, or anyone at all, should have control over a woman’s body and the choices that she can/cannot make is ludicrous. This blatantly violates the freedom our country so proudly bears. I believe that the changes in healthcare proposed by Donald Trump would be major setbacks for our nation and would hinder individual citizens greatly.

If the cost of healthcare improved, it would be greatly beneficial to those families with lower-income. Some individuals do not have healthcare insurance because it is cheaper and more financially efficient for them to just pay the mandate. Making healthcare more accessible by lowering the cost would allow more people to afford it and this would have a huge impact on our nation as a whole.

9. I also agree that Obama’s JAMA article showed the many ways that the Affordable Healthcare Act changed healthcare. The percentage of people without health insurance dropped drastically in the short span this health reform has been enacted. I found it interesting that the ACA created an effort against antifraud in Medicare and Medicaid. It is hard to wrap your head around the idea that the ACA actually prevented over eight thousand deaths and decreased over five hundred thousand readmissions. There is actual proof that the ACA has had positive effects.
    Your position on Trump wanting to defund Planned Parenthood is something I agree with. I am pro-choice and I strongly believe that a man should never tell a woman what to do with their bodies especially a man who has no respect for women. Planned Parenthood also does STI testing and they spread awareness. Knowledge about safe sex will decrease your chance of getting any STIs. Trump wants to take this organization down and there will be many repercussions.
    The cost of healthcare is still way to expensive. I agree that families should not have to worry about leading a healthy life.

10. The cost of both healthcare and prescriptions do need to be amended. The average, working middle class family struggles enough to pay healthcare costs on a normal basis, let alone when crisis strikes. The insane costs are only benefiting those who work in the healthcare system; they have lost the real reason as to why healthcare should be in place. The health system should first, and foremost be for its patients. The cost of prescriptions also leaves a gouge in anyone’s pocket book. The unreasonable cost has many refusing to buy the prescriptions which could be a matter of life or death in some cases. Also the drastic changes in cost in unfair. I know a person who recently experienced her monthly epilepsy prescription rise from $80 to $1600 with no notice. She could not go without this medication and therefore had to pay the absurd amount of money.