The ACA & Public Health

The ACA & Public Health

In President Obama’s JAMA article, I was particularly fascinated by all the details and statistics that he provided with regard to the progress of the Affordable Care Act and the effect that it has had on Americans. I was surprised that he himself wrote it (note author credentials – Barack Obama, JD); the extensive amount of information as well as the weight of critical thinking and analysis that many individuals, not only the President himself, have undergone to produce this report demonstrates that research has been productively dissected to explain the impact of the ACA. Without always agreeing with the President, I appreciate his goal of providing quality healthcare to all Americans as health and wellness is an important issue in our modern society.

This coming election season, I am worried about both candidates, to be honest. I understand their goals of improving the welfare of all Americans, and much of the time, the hyperpolarization in Congress or politics, for that matter, does not stem from a lack of a common goal, but rather a disconnect in the means through which a particular goal is accomplished. Secretary Clinton has made her support for the ACA and Medicaid expansion undeniably explicit; while I do agree with certain fundamental portions of the ACA, I regret to endorse the restrictions that it directly imposes on insurance industries and individual freedoms. Many pharmaceutical and insurance industries do manipulate the American populace. Our focus should not be directed in condemning these industries but rather in devising solutions to such manipulations, thinking about ways in which the American people can work together to allow private enterprises and the American public to coexist in a firm space from which to build toward a better future. Mr. Trump, on the contrary, has been an outspoken critic of the ACA. I do agree with his arguments as well regarding the overextension of government in state and private affairs; such ideas are linked to the Tenth Amendment in our Bill of Rights. It is a grave crime to leave millions of underprivileged Americans uninsured, but it is a grave crime to point fingers at parties and companies or force individuals or businesses to destroy their respective practices. In addition, consideration must be offered to the thousands of our Americans neighbors and friends who work in the healthcare industry such as nurses, physicians, public health officials, social workers, physical/occupational therapists, dentists, medical technicians, who will suffer losses in income due to the government’s underpaying of customer costs in comparison to payment of private insurance agencies. The ACA has mandated restrictions which show angelic and diabolical appearances; the job of all Americans is to work comprehensively and collaboratively to uphold charity, freedom, equity, and justice in our healthcare system.

Healthcare should be reformed to a simpler, more effective means that slashes overbearing governmental regulations and red tape and makes individual insurance accessible to every American. First, I think we should start to do away with the whole employer-based coverage and make the connection between insurers and individuals. Thus, the penalties should be eradicated for business who choose not to offer health care because they will not offer insurance – this change will protect the integrity of businesses. Next, the individual mandate should be done away with. Whoever wants to purchase insurance will contact an insurance company and determine what insurance works best for them. nevertheless, checks should be made on these companies to make sure that manipulation or inflation of insurance rates remains affordable for all Americans.

One thought on “The ACA & Public Health

1. I agree with you that it is surprising that the President himself wrote the JAMA article. I think this shows another side of him that we may not always see. It is evident that President Obama cares about the health of the nation and making progress towards health care. I really like that you brought up how we should focus on a way to make private insurance companies and the people work together. I agree the continuous condemning of these companies will not solve the problem at hand. However, it makes me wondering if working together will be efficient enough to help our health care system. We have learned that creating change in the system is historically time consuming and daunting. Your idea of doing away with employer based coverage is interesting. It would be ideal to create a closer relationship with the individual and insurance company, but I wonder if it could cause problems. The system would definitely have to adjust to accommodate those who depend on their employers to provide the best possible insurance they can. It would be a shame if citizens had to settle for an insurance plan that did not fit their needs because their employer could not provide this option for them.