Health Care Reform

Health Care Reform

I believe that the biggest challenge the United States has faced regarding health care reform is the inability of political parties to cooperate on the issues. ┬áSince Truman’s presidency, there has not really been a consistent presence of one party in the white house. Therefore, it has been tough for either party to get anything done. Both parties have insisted that they are for the improvement in health care. For example, George Bush and Barack Obama’s both wanted to reduce healthcare costs. Yet Obama still does not have the support of the republicans in the House of Representatives. If the parties would just be able to agree on certain things then the process wouldn’t become so prolonged.

The biggest failure in United States health care reform has been Clinton’s presidency. While his regime did have many ideas on what to do and how to do it, they got caught up in dreaming a little too big. Clinton’s plan was just a little too liberal for the liking for many people. Many supporters were skeptical that his administration would be able to get everything that it proposed done, along with the fact that his plan was more than scary to the regular conservatives. Allowing the first lady, Hillary Clinton, to be in charge also raised red flags for people. There is no doubt that she is qualified to have such a role, however it could lead some people to believe that he does not want to deal with the issues himself. His plan was looking towards the future, however it was too far reaching and made no progress over the course of 8 years.

I think the biggest success in health care reform was the passage of medicare by the Johnson regime. Initially proposed by Kennedy, medicare is giving health insurance to millions of elderly people to this day. It has been running for about 50 years now, and passed into law much smoother than many other healthcare policies. We would all agree that our old age is where we need insurance the most, for that is when our bodies are the most vulnerable, and it is very difficult for people to continue working at an old age, especially if their job requires anything labor inducing.

5 thoughts on “Health Care Reform

1. While I agree that Medicare is a huge success, being as it has lasted many years and continues to thrive, I disagree with the idea that Clinton’s presidency was the biggest failure.
    Conservative or Liberal, many individuals over look the fact that currently our health care system is not well. With Obamacare, a certain person who falls under the correct standards will benefit while many others have been forced to lower their health care standards or completely change doctors, hospitals, and clinics.
    Additionally, Clinton passing this role onto his wife was very beneficial for this nation in a time where females were treated as lesser. It provided a platform or role model if you will for women empowerment in the workplace.

2. I completely agree with you that the biggest challenge facing the United States regarding health care reform is political parties and their inability to work together. I always thought that Obamacare was a new idea, but now that I know George Bush presented a plan that was basically Obamacare, I do not agree on something. They need to put the whole Democrat vs. Republican issue aside so that important reforms like this do not take so long.
    I would also agree that the health care plan of Bill Clinton was a very big failure in the process of health care reform. His plan was very extreme for conservatives, which did not make it easy to come upon an agreement between the democrats and republicans. However, I would argue, and say that I do not think that putting Hillary in charge played a significant role in the failure of his health care reform plan.
    I would also argue that the biggest success of health care reform was not passage of Medicare, but instead the passage of Obamacare. Medicare takes care of the elderly and young people with disabilities, but no on in between. Obamacare finally achieved the majority of the goals set forth by past presidents including George Bush. Although, there are some issues with Obamacare, it still has had the largest impact on those people who can not afford normal health insurance but do not qualify for Medicare/ Medicaid.

3. I agree with you Dean! I think Conservatives have always had a fundamental belief that “socialized” healthcare would be detrimental to society, while liberals have frequently voiced the opposite view. The only way any public health initiative, for example the ACA, can be fully implemented and integrated into society in the long term is if both parties agree that it is the right choice, and convince their respective voter groups of this same fact.

4. I agree with you, Dean, especially with your statement that the passage of Medicare by the Johnson administration was the most important movement made in healthcare. It has been serving Americans effectively for decades now as you stated. While the demographic covered by it is limited, but it set a healthcare standard that future programs that expanded coverage would set out to follow.

It is unfortunate how difficult it has been for these innovations to be made in this political climate, however. Where the Affordable Care Act gave real tangible aid to thousands of Americans and has the opportunity to continue to do so in the future, it will be better known as being an anti-Obama trump card for Republican politicians in the past year. It is unfortunate to see partisan lines interfere with such a necessity all American’s have a right to possess.

In short, Medicare was able to be so successful because the idea of a social-insurance system run by the government was a brand new idea in 1960’s politics, with little political tension to hinder its movement. It is saddening that millions of American’s will be out of reach of effective, intuitive healthcare in the coming years as the executive branch and House continue to fight on a system of aid all Americans should be able to receive from their government.

5. I agree with your statement about the biggest challenge being “the inability of political parties to cooperate on the issues”. I feel that there will be a disagreement on most issues because there isn’t a dominant party directing theses issues, especially involving health care. Health care is very important and it is unfortunate that different political parties cannot come to an agreement about health care.
    I can see why you think Bill Clinton’s proposal was too liberal. In some ways he did try to heavily emphasize his perspective of how health care should be carried out without giving some room for conservative’s comfortability. Yes, putting Hilary Clinton in charge may have raised some red flags, but that wasn’t the intention. Like you said, she was qualified to perform this task. Also, I agree with Emily and Andrew about her role in health care didn’t really have a huge impact on the downfall of Bill’s proposal.
    I would also agree with Andrew’s statement about Obamacare being beneficial to the “in between” group. Medicare/Medicaid was limited to those whom were elderly and those with disability. Obamacare went outside of those lines to reach those who could not afford health care insurance.