Healthcare Reform

Healthcare Reform

I believe one of the biggest reason why healthcare reform took decades for a major change to occur is due to the popularity of the president. I think that every time a president has started their attempt at health care reform the president’s popularity has dropped due to reasons in and out of the healthcare arena. Once the popularity drops the president has other issues to face and healthcare drops as a main priority. I also think the amount of time for the process takes and the amount of approval necessary makes it extreme difficult for any change to be made. I think if the majority in the congress is of the opposite party of the president there it is more likely the president will face greater opposition in his healthcare policy.

For me, the biggest failure of U.S. healthcare reform were the attempts of Bill Clinton. He failed because he was too ambitious with his proposed policy which caused a lot of resistance. He also gave the first lady a large role in the reform which was unpopular among many Americans at the time. I think this failure is huge because the Clintons were so confident that they promised they would pass their bill yet in the end the bill never came to the floor.

I believe the biggest success in healthcare reform is the affordable care act because it is the first time in decades that a major reform has been made. I categorize this as success compared to other health care reforms because this was truly successful as the bill was actually passed. I do not necessarily know if this is the best step forward but I know great change has occurred.

13 thoughts on “Healthcare Reform

1. I agree with Mr. Wikol in that the popularity of the president has been a major factor in the challenges for improving healthcare in the United States. In regards to Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act, many Americans disregard and do not support Obamacare simply because of the name. In an experiment conducted by Jimmy Kimmel, Americans were asked if they preferred Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act and why. Most of the people being interviewed chose the Affordable Care Act, even though they had no explanation other than they just did not support Obamacare. These people, severely uneducated and ignorant regarding the health care system, were obviously oblivious to the fact that Obamacare is just a nickname for the Affordable Care Act. This proves that the popularity of presidents is most definitely a factor in the progression and wellness of the health care system in the U.S.

Insurance companies are monopolies in the U.S because they are not fully regulated by the government, especially compared to other developed nations. The U.S spends nearly 20% of our GDP on healthcare. We spend more money than other nations and our results are poorer. In short, rather than a particular reform, public health in the U.S is very poor compared to other developed, equal GDP nations, and insurance agencies are not working for the purpose they should be working for. Imagine if insurance companies in the U.S were non-profit. The U.S healthcare system would look much different.

I believe Obamacare, just as Mr. Wikol said, has been one of the most successful reforms in the U.S. The Affordable Care Act has certain aspects that are monumental in the world of healthcare. For one, it makes insurance companies accept patients with pre-existing conditions whereas before, they could be denied. Also, children are allowed to stay on their parents’ plan until the age of 26, and companies with over 50 employees must provide some sort of health insurance plan. These are just a few of this reform’s attributes which make it successful.

1. I think that your comment about the Jimmy Kimmel survey is very interesting and explains just about how educated the citizens of the United States are on the current issues. Many Americans say they prefer not to engage in “politics” so they do not educate themselves on the current issues and when It comes time to vote for a presidential candidate, they vote for whoever the media presents as the best candidate.
      I’m not sure if I agree with the fact that the popularity of the president because it seems with no matter who the president is, there will obviously always be group of people who will disagree with him or her and the things they do.

I do agree with the suggestion that the Affordable Care Act should not have been nicknamed “Obamacare” because those who do not like President Obama will not think Obamacare is a beneficial health care reform. There are both positives and negatives with the Affordable Care Act but one of the biggest cons is how it has raised the taxes on the American people, putting most the strain on the middle class. The premiums that citizens have to pay for insurance are higher as well but now more Americans have health insurance. Your stance on this healthcare reform will all depend on your political views.

2. I agree with what Joey said about the popularity of the presidents being a reason why it took so long for our health care to take a major turn. For example, our newest health care reform, Obamacare, is just a nickname for the Affordable Care Act, because it was proposed by Barack Obama. People believe that Obamacare (the Affordable Care Act) is a bad proposal because the name “Obama” is in it, when in reality people don’t have much knowledge about the Affordable Care Act and it’s benefits.

The biggest failure of the US healthcare is the money we spend on our health care but we still don’t have the best quality healthcare in comparison to other countries. I agree that the situation with Bill Clinton was a failure. His healthcare reform was not passed but it had the most optimistic outlook for health care in the US.

I also think that the biggest success in the United States is the Affordable Care Act. Before Obama passed the Affordable Care Act, the passing of Medicare, by Lyndon Johnson, was the last major change in our health care since 1965. The Affordable Care Act has personal affected me because of my involvement with Planned Parenthood/women contraception. Most insurance companies now have to cover the cost of birth control without any out-of-pocket costs.

3. I also think that the president’s popularity plays a big part in the ability of a healthcare reform bill to pass and the acceptance of each new idea by congress and Americans in general. I also think that the system of passing bills, especially on a subject as controversial as this one, is extremely inefficient. With opposition coming from different politicians and political party ideals, it makes sense that it took as long as it did to fix the proposed healthcare reform bills.

I don’t think that the biggest failure was Bill Clinton’s ambition, I think the biggest failure was for politicians to come to a compromise regarding certain aspects of healthcare reform. The fact that politicians couldn’t come together to create even temporary fixes to this ongoing problem in America is what I view as the biggest failure of American bureaucracy. I also think that as one of the most prominent developed nations in the world, we have failed in comparison to other nations that have mastered the concept of healthcare. In some countries such as Denmark, healthcare is free for all citizens because their taxes allow them to provide for all of the Danish people.

The affordable care act is a big feat for the American government considering how long it took to come to this agreement. While it isn’t perfect, I think that the formation of the affordable care act should be considered a huge step in the direction of a more permanent and beneficial healthcare plan. This was the first concrete decision made by the government and it has the power to positively impact many Americans, especially those who are of a lower socioeconomic status.

4. Politics really is a popularity contest and even your ideas are great, it entirely depends on how well liked you are to move forward in politics. As many good bills and laws are held back due to the unpopularity of presidents, it can also be said that many bad and poor laws have been enacted due to a presidents popularity. This is a double edged sword. Obviously the system is not perfect but sometimes seeing both sides of an issue help to give a deeper insight on the overall idea.
    I feel that the biggest failure the U.S. has made in Health Care is the the constant desire to make change happen “right now” and having politicians make the final say on how the Health Care System works instead of those who work within the system. These two flaws lead to half-baked ideas and desires fail to become a reality and instead make it harder for health care professionals to do their job.
    The Affordable Care Act, in my opinion, is going to start causing more frequent issues as the years go own and more parts of the Bill are enacted. For example, health care professionals will soon be payed by the quality of their work, i.e. if they do a good job, good pay, and vice versa. The issue here lies within the fact that some medical professionals will not always have a 100% success rate (i.e. surgeons). A surgeon who may have one death on the table a year would then have their pay drastically cut. So what does the surgeon do? The surgeons are then going to decide to not preform on any high risk patient in fear of becoming economically unstable. Many surgeons are going to have this mindset and thus all high risk patients are going to have nobody to turn to. I have talked to many surgeons about this issue and they all are very concerned about the future of surgery if this is the way health care is going to change.

5. I also agree that Healthcare reform is linked very closely to the President’s popularity. When the President has high approval numbers then he/she may be more willing to test a new policy, but as soon as those numbers dip, a lot of Presidents will cut back or stop their new policies completely. Now, this is not always the case, but I think with health care reform it is a familiar trend.

The petty politics that occurred for almost seventy years before any substantial progress on health care reform was made is inexcusable. I understand that politics are necessary, but when they get in the way of life- saving treatment something must change. Nothing should take as long as health care reform did, especially when thousands of people are being left without any type of insurance.

The Affordable Care Act is a good first step in helping to improve health care. I defiently think there can be improvements, but anything is better than nothing. As mentioned above, I think that the payment of physicians for their work could cause some problems later on, but overall there are lots of good things that can and will come out of the Affordable Care Act.

6. In a sense, I agree with Joey’s idea that the president’s popularity is a factor that affects the progress of reforming the healthcare system. However, Joey’s other idea of the length of time it takes for bills to become approved, in my opinion, is one of the more prominent factors that affects healthcare reform. If parties in Congress were not as divided with each other then maybe we could come to an agreement on some form of Universal Health Care for everyone in the United States.

I think that the Clinton’s health care flop was disastrous. Instead of over estimating, it seems that they under estimated the task at hand, further slowing down the health care reform process for the United States. However, their plan to later reform the healthcare system, a small piece at a time, seemed to make the argument that they learned from their mistake in some way.

The Affordable Care Act is something to be proud of, even though it may not be perfect, for it shows that eventually change will come if people keep working towards a goal. Ultimately, it make take more years for another great change in healthcare to occur but in the meantime the Affordable Care Act is surely a step in the right direction. Every type of legislation has its critics but I think that the broad idea that the affordable care act wants to increases access to healthcare is one we should be proud to see in action.

7. It’s difficult to conclude that the ACA is a step in the right direction just merely due to the fact that change has occurred. The logic expressed would indicate that all movement is forward, a prospect which is not particularly justifiable in all circumstances.

8. To be successful in politics you have to have support from the people. Popularity, not with just the people but the House and Senate as well, is likely a factor in the actions the President takes. I also agree that the amount of approval a bill needs prevents change from happening more quickly and efficiently.

For the most part I also agree with your comment on how Bill Clinton’s attempt to pass a Health Care Reform greatly. However, the failure of the bill being passed can not be entirely blamed on him. The process of which a bill gets passed through the House and Senate is very tedious and it is not completely in the power of the President to determine what gets passed and what doesn’t.

Along with you, I too think that the Affordable Care Act is a definite success. It is a step in the right direction and while there can always be improvements, change can only happen if we start with something, regardless of how imperfect it is.

9. I agree with you that healthcare took so long to pass is because of the popularity of the president. By the time a president actually submits their healthcare plan, they have lost support from congress. Big advocators of healthcare plans were Nixon and Bill Clinton, but they both failed to get support for their plans. Nixon had to resign from office because of his scandal from watergate. Clinton also lost support from congress when he had an affair while in office.
    I’d say that Clinton was the biggest failure when it came to healthcare reform. He was so excited to start the healthcare reform, but never made the issue a priority. He ended up giving the task to the first lady, which was seen as controversial. I think Hillary wasn’t prepared for this important role and the reform was doomed from the start.

10. I agree with the fact the a President’s popularity was one of the biggest reason why healthcare reform took so long. Popularity also goes hand-and-hand with timing. Healthcare reform would polarize the people no matter what the president would try and do and because of how the system is set up, an election year would come up. Obviously, a polarized audience would not be favorable for a president looking to seek a reelection. Even when the president would not be up for reelection (his second term), Congress would typically be made up of the opposite party who would not be very eager to work with the president in reforming healthcare.

Again, I agree with the fact that Bill Clinton had the biggest failure when it comes to U.S. healthcare reform. Not only was he too ambitious, he delegated the task to the First Lady. This might have portrayed a message that it wasn’t important enough to make it on his political agenda. When his ambitious plan failed, Bill Clinton conceded a smaller plan.

Contrary to Bill Clinton, I believe Barack Obama had the biggest success when it comes to healthcare reform. From the very beginning, Obama made it a clear point that healthcare reform will be a main talking point on his agenda. He completed his task and reformed healthcare. Whether it is for the better or if it will even stick around, it is the biggest success out of any of the other presidents’ attempts. The last time healthcare was shaken up in the U.S. was with Lyndon B. Johnson and his passing of Medicare

11. I agree in a way that a president’s popularity plays a part in how successful he is able to be in the process of moving along health reform. I think that most of the trouble comes from the fact that the power is typically fairly balanced and neither side wants the other to succeed. I think that it is unfortunate that there are people that die in our own country because they do not have access to healthcare and I wish that both sides could work together to fix this problem.
    I do agree that one of the biggest failures in health care reform was the attempt of Bill Clinton. I agree that it was a failure because of the high expectations that they set for their bill.
    I am curious to see where our country will go with healthcare in the future but I certainly hope that it works well for the well being of all people.

12. I agree with your point about it being based on a president’s popularity. I think in order for a president to be able to implement a major change like health care reform, they would need to dedicate all their time to that and that is impossible due to the variety of responsibilities that come with the job, which you stated.

I believe one of the biggest failures is our stubbornness when it comes to spending with healthcare. We are so quick to funnel billions upon billions of dollars into the US military, but think that more accessible health care would be too expensive.

I believe the biggest success of health care reform has been The Affordable Care Act. Although there are flaws and kinks in the act, it is the first decision made in such a long time that offered health care to such a large population of people and is a huge step in what I consider to be the right direction.