Evolution of Health Care

Evolution of Health Care

The factors that have been the biggest challenges as the U.S. tries to improve our health care system is the fact that our health care system would be run by the government and that a large health system would result in higher taxes. We live in a country where the federal government is supposed to be weak compared to the state governments, preventing from a tyranny. When health care was brought up people became very wary especially of the fact that it was going to be controlled by the federal government. By allowing the government to control our health care our choices as patients would be limited and in the hands of the government. Health care being socialized will lead to it being less individualized. Also having such a large health care system would only result in an enormous amount of money being needed which will most definitely lead to higher taxes.

The biggest failure in U.S. health care reform in my opinion is John. F Kennedy’s defeat in his Medicare bill. JFK was so passionate in getting this bill passed, enabling Americans to care for their own old-age health insurance to prevent from being unable to pay for their own health care. His loss was not only a setback for him, but also our nation as a whole.

The biggest success in U.S. health care reform would be the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare. Millions of people now, because of Obamacare, have been able to access affordable insurance. This saves millions of peoples lives.

7 thoughts on “Evolution of Health Care

1. I agree with you on the Affordable Care Act being the biggest success in US health care reform. Although it has some flaws, it definitely helped making insurance affordable for lower income Americans. It took such a long process for the legislation to go through and I think the reason why the US faces challenges when trying to improve the health care system is not that it is such a large system and may result in higher taxes, rather its the fact that politicians cannot come to an agreement on the legislations. Which in turn results in the US health care industry spending more money on lobbying the politicians rather than spending it for the people.

2. While the ACA does promote universal health care, it compromises the freedom and autonomy of all Americans, regardless of socioeconomic status. Underprivileged families who do receive care are suppressed by the government because quality of care decreases while insurance premiums skyrocket. Clearly not a preferable situation. Health care for all is a marvelous idea, the means, though, fail in this situation.

3. In your first paragraph, it illustrates the factors that cause the biggest challenges when it comes to improving our health care system. I think your arguments are valid and they are real problems to the issue of our nation’s health care. But it only tackles one side of the issue. It’s stated that the people are limited to health care choices because the government controls them, which is a great argument to some. But on the flip side some people can’t choose their health care, or some people just can’t afford health care. Although the people are limited in what health care they receive, it’s overall better for the nation because it puts everyone on the same plane allowing for equality in the social statuses, instead of growing the gap between the rich and poor. This is why I agree with your last statement about how the Affordable care act is one of the biggest success in health care reform.

4. I really enjoyed reading your post, Ryan. Viewing modern political issues with respect to the ideals set forth by the original framers of the Constitution isn’t done as often as it should be. I personally believe that putting health care into the hands of the federal government isn’t nearly as troubling as allowing healthcare to continue to be a business enterprise more than anything else. I personally believe basic healthcare is in inherent right that everyone is the US should be entitled to.

5. I agree on various points that have been presented. But, I do not believe that the biggest failure was the failure to pass a healthcare law under John F Kennedy. The largest failure was that of Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton started his term as President with a House of Representatives and a Senate that was democrat controlled. The differing views within Clintons own party caused a failure to pass legislation that could have changed the American healthcare system. The failure to pass the legislation shows the contested nature of healthcare reform even within a single political party. The passage of healthcare reform would not happen till Barack Obama and the Congress Passed the Affordable Care Act in 2010 finally completing the process that started back with president Harry S Truman.

6. Hello Ryan,
    I do agree with the majority of what you wrote. One positive thing you mentioned was the biggest failure in the U.S health care reform. I agree that JFK’s Medicare bill being defeated was a sad time for the people of the U.S. For such a bill to be talked about and the hope of the people to go upwards, yet to only fall short is a tragic time. As for the biggest challenges that the U.S faced, I debate myself if the government controlling the health care system is a better solution. If the government controlled it, there would be one standard healthcare policy for all of the people. There would be an equal and just policy for those who cannot afford a more expensive policy from a private company. A solution may be a slight raise in taxes but that can lead to a more fair health care policy for all the people.