Week 1 – On Purpose

Week 1 – On Purpose

1.What do you think your purpose is? How will you find it if you don’t know? How will you maintain or change it if you do know?
Although I do not know the exact path that I am meant to travel, I believe that my broad purpose in life is to help others. This is why I am so drawn to the health care industry; it is all about curing others and assisting them to the best of our ability. For me, there is no greater joy than being the reason that someone smiles, and this is what drives me to maintain my purpose. I know it is impossible to bring happiness to everyone’s life in this huge world, especially one filled with so much despair, but every person that I affect positively will remind me of the reason that I am here and will motivate me to continue my purpose.
2.What excuses do you use in your life? How can you combat against these excuses and continue to push forward toward your passion?
I frequently tell myself that I do not have enough time to put in all the hard work that is required to succeed, but in reality I spend lots of time on unnecessary activities. I put aside my responsibilities for pastimes that I find enjoyable, but they are not my passion. To combat against these excuses, I have to remind myself about my purpose in life and that my passion is what I need to fulfill that purpose.
3.What do you think Larry means when he finishes his talk with the word “unless?”
My interpretation of the word “unless” is that it is never too late to chase our passion again. If a certain career is truly your passion, nothing should stop you from reaching it, even if there was a large break along the way.
My question for everyone is how do you know when you have found your passion in life, and is it possible to have multiple passions?

7 thoughts on “Week 1 – On Purpose

1. I think how you know you’ve found your passion in life is that you don’t view the task as a burden or responsibility, you genuinely derive pleasure from the experience, and that is enough motivation to get you to continue. If your passion is school, for example, you wouldn’t be down on a Monday, you’d be happy and energetic for all the learning that will commence in the upcoming week. While not many of our passions revolve around school (though to those of you out there, I envy you), once we find what we’re destined for, it’s an eye-opening experience and offers an answer to the question, “Why am I here in this world?” Of course, you can have more than one passion. Think of the double majors who may go on to teach math in the second grade and during the summers go on religious mission trips to third-world countries. Not all of us are lucky enough to find all of our passions, but those of us who do live on another level of experiences and happiness.

2. I agree with your points on the grace we obtain when we assist others, the trite excuses that we invent to avoid our responsibilities, and your take on Larry’s use of the word “unless.” In addition, I believe that finding a purpose in life is hard, and finding that passion so desperately sought for extremely difficult. Few people find the right passion, and most of us are trying to identify what’s interesting. I’ve thought that a reason for this might be the pressure that students feel in the education system, where the chances of them finding passions are greatest. For me at least, I noticed that although I enjoy learning academic material, pressure from outside influences weakened, or even removed, that innocence. In this way I feel that potential passions are clouded by this tension.

I think that people find the “right” passion by chance, and finding it any other way isn’t genuine. By chance I mean that there may be factors that increase this chance, but the revelation that “this is what I want to do” is uncontrollable and spontaneous. We learn that a certain activity is a passion when we can’t see ourselves doing anything else, or the activity interests us more than any other that we’ve experienced. It’s honestly hard to say if we ever live with the “right” passion because if we have a great passion, we can’t conclude that it is the “right” one. There might be other undiscovered passions that interest us more, but we never have a chance to find them. Also, I think it’s possible to have multiple passions, but very unlikely. I believe passion is defined to be an activity that one never gets tired of thinking about, and having two or more activities in the mind perpetually is usually tiring.

3. I believe my purpose in life is to help others, engage in meaningful relationships, and appreciate every opportunity provided. However, I am accepting of the fact that my purpose will change as time goes on. I feel that my excuses are very similar to yours. I, too, find myself using time as my primary excuse. I am working on spending less time focusing on how much time I don’t have to achieve something and more time on how much time I do have.

To answer your question, I believe it is definitely possible to have multiple passions. I think what makes finding your passion in life so difficult for some people is the popular belief that each person is meant to only have one passion in life. However, everyone is capable of exploring a wide range of interests. It’s restricting to try to define your life to one set passion. When it comes to knowing when you have found your passion, I completely agree with mdkeefer. A passion should be something that you can see yourself enjoying for the rest of your life. A passion should never be something you dread.
    Though I have not yet found my passion, I plan to keep an open mind and truly take into account what I define as my purpose in life.

4. I think people will intuitively know it once they find their passion in life. It is something that sparks them, something that energizes them and brings smiles onto their faces every time they think about that passion. For me, I have a passion for the outdoors. I love to go outside on adventures and explore, I love to try and learn about new things, to hear the stories of different people. I get extremely excited and energetic when for example, I can go into nature such as go hiking, mountain climbing, rafting, or playing other water sports. I am not scared to try things I have never tried before, and I don’t usually back off because it might be dangerous. In fact, I am often told I am reckless to not consider the consequences and the “what-ifs”, but it’s what I love to do. When I do the things I love, I know the joy I feel is genuine. I like to go see the world, to enjoy life. That is my passion in life. It is definitely possible to have multiple passions encompassing multiple areas, such as passion in studies, passion in work, passion in extracurricular activities. I also think that my passion will change as I move through different stages of my life.

5. For me, I knew that I found my passion of serving others when I came back from a mission trip and could not stop thinking about it, telling other people about it, and wanting to go back everyday more and more. The feeling of not being able to live without something in your life and not wanting to is true passion. When a person will go to any lengths to fulfill their desire for something, it is most likely a passion. Passions can fill different parts of a person’s life, so I think it is possible to have more than one. There are many different aspects of a person: their physical, emotional, spiritual, and social selves, just to name a few. One passion can fill all of these categories, but that may not be the case for everyone. Therefore a person can be passionate about many things, they just may serve a different part of the person. Some passions can all come together to make one true, big passion, but for some people, this does not happen. In order to make a difference in the world, a person must have passion.

6. I feel that my purpose in life is very similar to yours, and that many of the members of HSSP share this purpose. All of us, in some way, desire to help people through health care. As you said, simply seeing someone smile is enough to continue pursuing this passion. Although I am not completely sure what branch of medicine I want to practice in the future, I know that every option will allow me to fulfill this purpose. As far as your question goes, I strongly believe people can have more than one passion. For me, I know I am passionate about something when I am willing to do anything to continue pursuing it. Healthcare for example, I know the path to being a doctor is long and challenging, but I am willing to endure these challenges.
    As far as excuses go, I often get flustered by the amount of things I feel the need to complete, and I tell myself that there is no way to complete everything to the best of my ability. Usually I end up simply staying in my bed instead of doing anything and giving myself even less time. I have to remind myself how much work is required to pursue a career in healthcare, and that procrastination or laziness will hurt the quality of my work.

7. I related to a lot of the things you mentioned in this post, but most especially the way you described having a “broad purpose.” I feel as if I have realized my own broad purpose, but am not quite sure what to do next. I’m guessing that’s where a lot of the freshman class is at right now too. That’s where I think our passions come into play. Those are what will in the end define that broad purpose, and help us to make it our own. At the end of your post you talked about how it’s never to late to chase passions. I wholeheartedly agree with that, and would add that your passions will likely grow and evolve throughout your life, while that core, broad purpose could very likely stay the same.